What's your favorite cichlid?

Mii

just curious to see what people's favorite cichlids are. gonna tag a few people who I talk to a lot on FishLore as I am curious what they say Dippiedee BigBeardDaHuZi TClare GlennO Betta'sAnonymous AcornTheBetta julifhy GouramisAreSuperior jinjerJOSH22

edit: I mean a specific type of cichlid, not very large groups such as SA, CA, or african. after all, angelfish and oscars are both south american, and yet are very different from each other, so saying you like SA cichlids isn't really telling me much. if you have multiple favorites you can put multiple, just say what they are.

GlennO

My favourites have varied over many years. I started with Central American Cichlids before African Rift Lake Cichlids were available in the hobby and they are still a sentimental favourite. But at different times I have kept various African and Central & South American Cichlids. However I never used to be much into planted tanks and many Cichlids are not plant friendly. At the moment I have a heavily planted Rainbowfish tank and I am keeping Gold Rams as my only Cichlids in that tank. I have a pair of Keyholes in a different tank. A very underrated species. My favourite African species is Altolamprologus calvus. I kept and bred them for many years.

ghostdawg

I have a pair of young Bolivian Rams that I keep in my non planted 20g long tank. This is my first time having them, but first time having any fish as pets! :)

Mii

GlennO said:
My favourites have varied over many years. I started with Central American Cichlids before African Rift Lake Cichlids were available in the hobby and they are still a sentimental favourite. But at different times I have kept various African and Central & South American Cichlids. However I never used to be much into planted tanks and many Cichlids are not plant friendly. At the moment I have a heavily planted Rainbowfish tank and I am keeping Gold Rams as my only Cichlids in that tank. I have a pair of Keyholes in a different tank. A very underrated species. My favourite African species is Altolamprologus calvus. I kept and bred them for many years.
maybe I'll get some keyholes one day.

RandomFishBoi

South and Central American cichlids. So many shapes, sizes, colors, and personalitys. And they all have fascinating breeding behaviors. They are also much more peaceful and compatible with other fish than African cichlids.

BigBeardDaHuZi

GlennO said:
Do you have pictures of your tanks we can see?

AggressiveAquatics

I’m not sure if this is technically a cichlid but a flowerhorn is my all time favorite

Mii

I mean a specific type of cichlid, not very large groups such as SA, CA, or african. after all, angelfish and oscars are both south american, and yet are very different from each other, so saying you like SA cichlids isn't really telling me much. if you have multiple favorites you can put multiple, just say what they are.

GlennO

BigBeardDaHuZi said:
Do you have pictures of your tanks we can see?
This is a fairly recent pic of my main tank. I don’t currently have any pics of the others.

31B4DA02-4AF1-453C-8DF7-092DC1D3319D.jpeg

Dippiedee

It's so hard to pick just one as a favourite. I love how cichlids have so much personality, with other tropical fish yes they're pretty and fun to watch but they dont have their own individual character the same way cichlids do. I could, and frequently do, watch my american cichlid tank for hours.

I think I'd have to say Severums. I love their 'I have all the time in the world' attitudes. They're gentle giants but also assertive. Then, obviously, they're absolutely gorgeous. I just love them
20201010_134023.jpg

Edit: I adore the red eyes on the red spotted sevs. Mesmerising. It was love at first sight lol

Mii

Dippiedee said:
It's so hard to pick just one as a favourite. I love how cichlids have so much personality, with other tropical fish yes they're pretty and fun to watch but they dont have their own individual character the same way cichlids do. I could, and frequently do, watch my american cichlid tank for hours.

I think I'd have to say Severums. I love their 'I have all the time in the world' attitudes. They're gentle giants but also assertive. Then, obviously, they're absolutely gorgeous. I just love them
20201010_134023.jpg
I love severums so much!!!! if only I had a tank big enough.:(

Reading online, some sources say electric blue acaras are just selectively bred blue acaras, while others say they're hybrids of blue acaras and electric blue rams. Which would explain why electric blues tend to be a bit smaller and more peaceful than regular blues. Does anyone know which is the case?

Betta'sAnonymous

I do like watching a tank full of cichlids, but not really sure i have a favorite. Angelfish have a certain elegance to them that always catch my eye, though. Oscars tend to grab my attention often because of their size.

86 ssinit

A201

Here are a few of my favorites.
Nimbochromis Fusco, Rivulatus- Green Terror & Festae- Red Terror.
Way too many favorites to narrow down to one.

20201020_055001.jpg

20201020_055329.jpg

20201020_060713.jpg

TClare

Very, very difficult to decide, but my favourites include severums, festivums, angels, keyhole cichlids and Apistogrammas. Discus are amazing but I don’t really have any desire to keep them, too stressful...I like my new Cichlasoma a lot. Some I’ve never actually seen like the chequerboard cichlid look really interesting. Of central Americans I have a soft spot for convicts and Cryptoheros (ex Cichlasoma) panamensis (did my PhD with those many years ago).

JustAFishServant

I love this thread! Personally some of my favorites are Blood Parrots! They just seem so intelligent and inquisitive all the time! But honestly I don't really have favorites, for I feel it's unfair to the others! Although I really appreciate female Acai, Gold Severums, Texas, Gold Headed Rams, Labidochromis, Oscars, and the list goes on! :D

GlennO said:
This is a fairly recent pic of my main tank. I don’t currently have any pics of the others.

31B4DA02-4AF1-453C-8DF7-092DC1D3319D.jpeg
Woah...Is that a 75!? It's absolutely...breathtaking! :D

jmaldo

Just 3 years into keeping "Wet Pets", my favorites so far are:
#1- Bolivian Ram

Bolivian Pair 12719.jpg

#2 Electric Blue Acara

EBA Parents.jpg

#3 Discus

Blue Diamond Discus Pair.jpg

A201

Those are exceptional Bolivians. Great job keeping them.

St3v3

Mii said:
just curious to see what people's favorite cichlids are. gonna tag a few people who I talk to a lot on FishLore as I am curious what they say Dippiedee BigBeardDaHuZi TClare GlennO Betta'sAnonymous AcornTheBetta julifhy GouramisAreSuperior jinjerJOSH22

edit: I mean a specific type of cichlid, not very large groups such as SA, CA, or african. after all, angelfish and oscars are both south american, and yet are very different from each other, so saying you like SA cichlids isn't really telling me much. if you have multiple favorites you can put multiple, just say what they are.
I personally like convict cichlids they are really cool looking fish with crazy personalities

GouramisAreSuperior

Mii said:

I don't have cichlids :(. I really do want to have some blood parrot cichlids or GBR's or BR's.

jinjerJOSH22

I’ve kept both Blue Acara and Firemouth Cichlids and enjoyed keeping them.
Id like to keep a group one day but it’s way down on my list of tanks to setup :)

chromedome52

I enjoy the various South American Eartheaters, but the ones that specifically intrigue me are the Retroculus species. I've bred R. lapidifer, but there are two more species, both even more colorful, that I would love to get my hands on.

DSC_0043.JPG

BigBeardDaHuZi

A201 said:

20201020_055001.jpg

20201020_055329.jpg

20201020_060713.jpg
How do your terrors and your fusco get along? Those 3 are mighty pretty

AcornTheBetta

I like apistos, discus, angles, and rams.

Dippiedee

A201 said:

20201020_055001.jpg

20201020_055329.jpg

20201020_060713.jpg
I cant get over how stunning your green terror is

Mazeus

I don't have a tank big enough for this fish (and probably never will) but the most beautiful cichlid IMO is the Paratilapia polleni. If I had a bigger house and much more money I'd get a couple of these beauties!

Feohw

I'm another one for Bolivian rams. I've really enjoyed keeping my four. Very personable and I always love to see their interactions with one another. And they can be quite colourful too.

Some others that I'd love to own are Pseudocrenilabrus multicolor and P. nicholsi

The_fishy

Mii said:
I love severums so much!!!! if only I had a tank big enough.:(

Reading online, some sources say electric blue acaras are just selectively bred blue acaras, while others say they're hybrids of blue acaras and electric blue rams. Which would explain why electric blues tend to be a bit smaller and more peaceful than regular blues. Does anyone know which is the case?
They are hybrids, same with flowerhorns and parrots.

My boyfriend has Laetacara dorsigera and they are awesome fish! Very personable little guys when not breeding.

Normal coloration
048460C0-BD40-4EA2-AC76-8ADB32C64D46.jpeg

Breeding dress

F0726683-7B60-4577-B3D6-23D471DA203E.jpeg

Mii

86 ssinit said:
I really like discus. are they actually as hard to keep as people say they are? do they actually just die when your Ph changes? do they actually need a super low Ph?
jmaldo said:
Just 3 years into keeping "Wet Pets", my favorites so far are:
#1- Bolivian Ram

Bolivian Pair 12719.jpg

#2 Electric Blue Acara

EBA Parents.jpg

#3 Discus

Blue Diamond Discus Pair.jpg
that is the most amazing discus I have ever seen
St3v3 said:
I personally like convict cichlids they are really cool looking fish with crazy personalities
yeah. too bad they're so mean
jinjerJOSH22 said:
I’ve kept both Blue Acara and Firemouth Cichlids and enjoyed keeping them.
Id like to keep a group one day but it’s way down on my list of tanks to setup :)
I'm considering getting some in a few years when I have a bigger tank. how personable are they? do they swim up to the front of the tank and greet you like an oscar would?

jinjerJOSH22

Mii said:
I really like discus. are they actually as hard to keep as people say they are? do they actually just die when your Ph changes? do they actually need a super low Ph?

that is the most amazing discus I have ever seen

yeah. too bad they're so mean

I'm considering getting some in a few years when I have a bigger tank. how personable are they? do they swim up to the front of the tank and greet you like an oscar would?
Very in my experience, I had one shy one that was a runt but the others were very personable. I even used to feed the Acara by hand(Electric and regular).

Mii

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Very in my experience, I had one shy one that was a runt but the others were very personable. I even used to feed the Acara by hand(Electric and regular).
If it's an ELECTRIC blue acara, how do you charge it's battery without shocking all your other fish?

86 ssinit

Well a changing ph is no good for any fish. So yes discus will struggle. They are a time consuming fish. Water changing really is the key. It can’t be avoided they need clean water. They can be kept in a ph range of 6-8. But it has to be constant. No they won’t breed in the higher ph but will in 6.8-7.4. Even in a big tank they need clean new water. Water changing is the key :).

Mii

86 ssinit said:
Well a changing ph is no good for any fish. So yes discus will struggle. They are a time consuming fish. Water changing really is the key. It can’t be avoided they need clean water. They can be kept in a ph range of 6-8. But it has to be constant. No they won’t breed in the higher ph but will in 6.8-7.4. Even in a big tank they need clean new water. Water changing is the key :).
if you understock can you do less water changes?

86 ssinit

Sorry there is no avoiding water changing. Please understand clean water is what’s needed. You will read people saying they don’t change water. You just won’t read them for long.:(. Once you get past the fact they need water changes than they become a much easier fish to keep. Even more filtration isn’t the answer.

Mii

86 ssinit said:
Sorry there is no avoiding water changing. Please understand clean water is what’s needed. You will read people saying they don’t change water. You just won’t read them for long.:(. Once you get past the fact they need water changes than they become a much easier fish to keep. Even more filtration isn’t the answer.
how often? do you think an understocked discus tank could work with weekly water changes just like my other tanks or would it still need more?

MONSTER GOBY

My all time favorite cichlid is the dovii
this was one of my old pairs, don't have any right now but I will be getting more soon. My current favorite and second all time are Haitian cichlids
this is my big pair also have three more pairs. Rounding out my top three would be the first cichlid I ever kept the Jack Dempsey
1020201331o.jpg

1020201331n.jpg
this is my current pair.

Redshark1

Kribs. So many great memories and breeding them was key to me being compelled to stay and develop in this hobby. Plus the wild ones we had then were so much more beautiful than the farmed ones we have today, although I occasionally see wild fish can be obtained.

Mii

Redshark1 said:
Kribs. So many great memories and breeding them was key to me being compelled to stay and develop in this hobby. Plus the wild ones we had then were so much more beautiful than the farmed ones we have today, although I occasionally see wild fish can be obtained.
kribs are cool.

A201

BigBeardDaHuZi I kept the Terrors before transitioning to African Cichlids.
IMO, As long as an adequately sized tank is provided, the Terrors would likely be able to coexist with most Predator Haps.
The Terrors bad reputation is greatly exaggerated, especially the Green Terror.

GlennO

I wonder why don't I see more discussion about Humphead Cichlids (Steatocranus casuarius)? I had one many years ago and it was a really cool fish. They are not difficult to keep so I wonder why they are not more popular. They have really interesting looks and behaviour.

Top Bottom