What's your favorite aquarium book?

friendlytoanimals

Hello everyone,
I've been scanning through the book reviews and found that there aren't a lot of recent ones. If you could give one essential book to a new-ish freshwater tank owner, what book would it be?

Aquarist

Bump!

Thanks!

Ken

Fishguy11

Encyclopedia of aquarium and pond fish.

Have it and I love it

Animals are my life. If there weren't animals I wouldn't exist.

Jomolager

I find Mike's eBook helpful.

Junne

Jomolager said:
I find Mike's eBook helpful.
I agree with that one too! I've looked in library's and book stores and most have info that is really outdated and nonsense stuff ( betta's in fishbowls, fish in fish bowls, etc )
It doesn't seem like there is a whole lot of authors I find reliable on the market - most of the info and stuff dated in the 70's - 90's..........

Jomolager

Junne, Fishlorians, do you have any opinions on Shirlie Sharpe? I've never heard of her until last night, but apparently she is a prolific writer and considered an authority. Amazon has the paperback version of her Aquatium book on preorder now.

I read several of her articles on line, but.....
One example, she says White Clouds can be kept in a bowl....

Junne

Jomolager said:
Junne, Fishlorians, do you have any opinions on Sherlie Sharpe? I've never heard of her until last night, but apparently she is a prolific writer and considered an authority. Amazon has the paperback version of her Aquatium book on preorder now.

I read several of her articles on line, but.....
One example, she says White Clouds can be kept in a bowl....
Unfortunately I don't. I do like what I have seen so far in Encyclopedia of aquarium and pond fish but haven't really read through that one either. I find its easier just to come on here and read...

Funny about the marketing - my Fluval edge which is a 6.6 gallon shows tiger barbs, and all kinds of other inappropriate fish listed on the outside of the box. White cloud in a fish bowl? WOW!

friendlytoanimals

Thanks everyone! I'm ordering the encyclopedia book, and I'll look at the e-book. I prefer to have a hard copy reference book around, as I spend too much time staring at screens for other purposes - plus I like to dog ear and highlight I'll check back here to see if anyone else comes along with more book recommends.

DoubleDutch

I've a small book from 1923 !!!
Things changed "a bit" since. It's my favorite, but in another sense than meand in this topic I think hahaha.

friendlytoanimals

oh my gosh, I just found a used (in "very good" condition it says) copy of The Natural Aquarium Handbook on Amazon for a penny. Plus $3.99 shipping. So, four bucks for the book. yay! - and thanks for the recommend.

Anders247

Yeah, nice find! I got it for the exact same price. There's a lot of cheap aquarium books for that price on Amazon/eBay.

btnhtillidie

Just picked up the Encyclopedia of aquarium and pond fish (before this thread) found it on sale for $10. Seems like a good read. It seems to list most fish, their water requirements etc.... It also has a saltwater section if I ever want to go that route.

Anders247

btnhtillidie said:
Just picked up the Encyclopedia of aquarium and pond fish (before this thread) found it on sale for $10. Seems like a good read. It seems to list most fish, their water requirements etc.... It also has a saltwater section if I ever want to go that route.
I've read that book, it's a pretty good read. Not completely accurate, which is to be expected when it comes to aquarium books though....

friendlytoanimals

I keep seeing people say this about aquarium books. Why so much inaccuracy?

Anders247

Because..... people make mistakes. It's all based on opinion, and most are out of date.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom