What's Your Favorite 55 Gallon Set Up?

1. BettaGirl22 Well Known Member Member

Hey guys! I haven't been active on here in quite a while due to some conflicts in my personal life, but now I am (hopefully) going to get back to using this site.

I haven't been very attentive to my aquariums lately either. The 55 gallon has a single betta and a 6 inch pleco (he really hasn't grown for months, so I'm thinking he isn't of the common breed, though that's what he was sold as), the 20 gallon is completely empty, and the 5 gallon has a betta.

The 55 gallon has been in business for nearly a year and a half, yet I have never really gotten around to stocking it. The goal is to move the resident betta into his very own 20 gallon palace once I get it back up and running, as to widen my stocking possibilities.

So, for the question: what would you do with it? I am completely open to any stocking options, and I love to hear what others in the fish keeping community would choose to do.

Thanks! :)

2. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

wow, that betta is living large in a 55!! I am not sure I have ever heard of anyone keeping a single betta in a tank that big! :)

What are you more interested in? A peaceful community? or something more aggressive? Larger fish or smaller fish? Are there any species that catch your eye?

3. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

If someone handed me a 55 gallon here is what I'd stock it with (ask me again tomorrow and it will be different)

1 Blood Parrot
    2 Electric Blue rams
    1 Koi Angelfish
    14 Green Aeneus Corydoras
    1 Albino BN Pleco
    10 Lemon Tetra

4. cjbart1009 Member Member

I would stock a 55 with

About 10-14 Danio Choprae

A pair of Bolivian Rams and / or another pair of dwarf cichlid like laetacara or nannacara.

A school of 20 Pygmy cories

Either BN pleco or a school of oto cats.

5. JGombs99 Well Known Member Member

I started a 55 gallon tank about two months ago. I went through many phases of decision making when choosing a stock. I decided to go with a clear centerpiece fish, a few stand alone fish, and a bunch of schooling fish.

I have 11 serpae tetras, 9 lemon tetras, 1 Krib, 1 Bolivian Ram, and 1 Raphael Catfish. I have 1 Blood Parrot to go before I'm stocked.

6. RandyS8229 Member Member

I'm a big fan of cichlids myself. Never a dull moment with them.

[​IMG]