What's Your Experience With Tiger Barb Aggression?

JustAFishServant

Almost every source will say tiger barbs are the meanest "small" freshwater fish you can get but that's not always true. 5 years back I rescued 3 green tiger barbs (2m, 1f) from a filthy 15 gallon column filled 1/3 of the way that probably hadn't had a water change in months. I didn't have time or space at the moment to get more so I left it. Over the years I kept marbled hatchetfish, kuhli loaches, corydoras, skirt tetras, rainbowfish, a platy, neon tetras and even a 6 year old blind, long-finned betta with no fin nipping or aggression, even with them. I was surprised especially since it was a trio and not a massive school. They lived on for another 5 years without issue. Since then I've planned to adopt 8 in a 29 gal instead (59% stocked from aquadvisor). I have many tankmate options.

Many have had bad experiences with tiger barbs and some have had similar cases as me. What I want to know is your experience with tiger barbs. Were you able to keep "non compatible" species with them and if so, which species and what did you do to keep them together? Did you have big numbers in a small tank or vise versa? Feel free to nerd out, share anything and everything about your experiences and reply to others. Keep it kind :)

Frank the Fish guy

It's been a long time since I kept Tiger Barbs. But I recall that they were inherently aggressive and that I thought one day, I would make them a home for themselves.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tigerburp
Replies
Views
SeanyBaggs123
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views