What's your best water changing/tank maintenance tip?

Leeman75

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
We all do water changes and tank maintenance (hopefully!) on a regular basis. What's your favorite tip or hack to share with others for when we do water changes and/or tank maintenance?

For me, something that I just started doing that seems simple enough but I didn't always do, is I leave my tank lights off for a couple of hours after a water change to let the fish destress. I have to fight the urge to turn the lights on to see all my fish that I just worked for, but I find that the fish come out of hiding and stop heavy schooling much quicker this way.

What's your hack?

Best Answer - View faydout's answer

FitSoldier

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My tip would be to clean filter media the same time you do a water change. For my tank, every time I change water (weekly) I take my filter media and rinse it in the bucket and the water always comes out black. Every. Single. Time. When I did this monthly in the past (or that time I didn't do any water changes for 2 months), my filter media just dissolved.

Also, pour water onto a rock or other decor when refilling so as not to disturb the gravel and get cloudy water. I think most people know this already.

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't like to clean my canister filters on the same day I do a water change. I usually wait a few days. Just in case.
I also find with in my 90g, the less chaos and splashing i cause when filling the tank back up, the less scared the fish get. I usually pour or fill right on top of the wavemaker.
Another thing i do is put a sponge on the end of my water change hose. My mollies and swordtails are always extremely curious and get to close... I've sucked a few up by accident. so i have a sponge so they don't.

OP
Leeman75

Leeman75

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Mike1995 said:
I don't like to clean my canister filters on the same day I do a water change. I usually wait a few days. Just in case.
I also find with in my 90g, the less chaos and splashing i cause when filling the tank back up, the less scared the fish get. I usually pour or fill right on top of the wavemaker.
Another thing i do is put a sponge on the end of my water change hose. My mollies and swordtails are always extremely curious and get to close... I've sucked a few up by accident. so i have a sponge so they don't.
I've sucked up danios and I just sucked up a small Emerald Cory this morning!

faydout

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FitSoldier said:
pour water onto a rock or other decor when refilling so as not to disturb the gravel and get cloudy water.
This was the tip that I was actually coming to share. Pick up a plastic 4 cup measuring cup from Amazon / dollar store (w/e... get the cheapest one you can find). Drill small holes (think I used a 1mm bit) starting about an inch from the bottom and stopping about an inch from the top, going about halfway around. It should look like a 180 degree rectangle when you're done. I did well over a hundred holes on mine. I use a powerhead in my bucket to get water back in, so I hang the measuring cup from the handle, and clip my tube into the measuring cup. This diffuses and sprays water in all directions. It also doubles as a $4 specimen cup, hang it on the inside rim while doing maintenance to hold tools / plant clippings... w/e. Just a really handy thing to have for little cost.

New Threads