Help What's wrong?

maadboy39

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I bought a 16 gallon bowfront tank from a work friend for my son's b-day. It is already set-up with a filter, wavemaker, heater and light.

It has appox 20 lbs of live rock and about 2" of live sand on the bottom

I have a clarkii clown and a lawnmower blenny that came with the tank and have been in it for over a year

I bought a yellow tang for my son to add to the tank, I acclimated it using the bucket method...for a week it was fine then it died. no discoloration, no acting funny or anything else, was still eating fine the day before it died.

At the same time I bought a fire shrimp and acclimated it the same way...2 1/2 weeks later after a water change it died while shedding. Nothing wrong I could see, was active and eating the day before.

The clown and blenny are fine...

My water temp is 80, sg is 1.023, ph is 8.3, alkalinity is 2.5, ammonia is 0, I only use purified water. The tank was cycled by the previous owner who was selling it to me because he upgraded 6 months ago to a 100 gallon tank, I'm not sure what method he used. As instructed I change the filter every month, and do 20% water changes every week. before and after the water change I test the water for sg, ph, alk and ammonia. I feed the fish ocean nutrition formula two marine pellets once a day.

I don't have a quarantine tank, but as i said the two residents are fine.

Any ideas why I can't add anything new to my tank?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!!
Your question has been moved to the SW Beginners section of the forum.
Our salty members will be more apt to see it here.

Best of luck!

Naeusu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
if iu remember correctly yellow tangs can be very delicate. as for the fire shrimp it may just not have been able to leave it's old shell and died by mistake. Try something smaller thatwill do okay in a tank like that like a very small six line wrasse or a few chromis.

built4speed05

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome to FL. I think your alkalinity is very low, it should be between 4-6 (meq/L according to my test kit). I am having an alkalinity problem myself and I had some new fish die and my 2 resident fish (like yours) have not been affected. The resident fish have most likely adjusted to the parameters. It was suggested to me by other Fishlorians that I should test the calcium and if my calcium was low also (along with my alkalinity) then my magnesium was out of balance. Im not sure this is what is causing your problem but I thought Id let you know a little of what I know and have been told.

Also, I have had different people tell me they like buffers and others do not....I think it will be your decision/preference about how to solve the parameter issue. I used an alkalinity buffer and it stabilized my alkalinity but I was having to use it everyday or so to keep it stable so I definitely have an underlying issue causing my alkalinity problem.

Last edited:

ATP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Alkalinity should be 18-12 dkh. Your yellow tang would need a 75 gallon at minimum so it probably died because of stress+alkalinity

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
+1 for what ATP said. Did you tell the person at the fish store that you had a 16gl tank? They should have never sold you a yellow tang if you told them.

maadboy39

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yeah, I started out by telling him what i had, tank filter live rock etc. then asked what a good number of fish would be for it since I already had two in it. then since we were getting fish for my sons birthday I let him pick, he picked the tang, then the guy recommended the fire shrimp since they like cleaning tangs and tangs need them since they don't have the body slime most marine fish have. I assumed if my setup wasn't enough for a tang he would've recommended something else since I started out by saying I was a beginner. So I guess the Tang was just setup for failure since he had less than ideal conditions. I'm just wondering why the shrimp died now. we liked him a lot and it looked like he just gave up while shedding. I found another place to go though, I'm not going back to that first place. and as soon as payday hits I'm going to get a more comprehensive test kit. Thank you everyone for the help!

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm not sure why the LFS would have steered you that way. Most of the non-huge fish places want your repeat business. If they sell you a tang for your 16gl they should assume you'll figure out why he died and then that you'll never trust that store again.

My LFS has told me not to buy fish in the past. Either I wasn't ready for the work or there were compatibility problems. This being the case I trust them and I'll also be willing to pay them a little bit more for a product like an RO unit than buying online as a reward to them.

The only thing I can think of is that they didn't want to disappoint your kid in front of you. As for the fire shrimp, yes - probably the alkalinity. The shell probably protected him and then he shed and lost that protection.

For future reference, neon gobies are good cleaners and they are very small - like an inch and a half long.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom