What's wrong?

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
One of my zebra danios is just staying at the back of the tank near the surface. If one of the other fish swim towards him he'll move somewhere else but always goes back to the same spot afterwards. I just noticed this about half hour ago. He was fine when I checked lunch time, then I went out and when I came back he was like this.

3 Questions:-
What's wrong?
What should I do?
Should I do a water change?

???

Thanks.

Gwenz

MaryPa

Reaction score
Gwen if in doubt always do a water change,it can only help not harm. My zebras do that when they`re either carring eggs or are being bullied too much. Be sure this time of the year to keep an eye on the temperature of the water. If it`s too warn do a small water change using just a bit cooler water. I keep tank water in my freezer in small containers just for that purpose. Did you test the water for nitrAtes or ammonia?

Jai

Valued Member
Reaction score
Something is definitely bothering the poor fella.....my danio seems to do the same but at the bottom, noticed it 2 days ago.......but the good thing is that he does go around but comes back to the same little spot!?!?!.......sorry Gwenz can't help you coz i'm stuck too!

lhenkin

Reaction score
That makes four (?) of us! There must be something in the air. My smallest zebra danio (Ship) has been hiding, too...sometimes in the back corner of the tank, sometimes near the top. I like the egg carrying theory, but he (?) is tiny. I think the bullying theory is more likely in our case. We have two golden long fin danios who like to chase the other fish. Ship's big brother, Cracken, stands up to the chasing, but, again, he is much bigger. The weird thing is that the change in Ship's behavior was sudden and prolonged. We are thinking of finding a new home for the bullies...

Best wishes to all the little zebra danios,

Leora

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok, I've done a water change and it seems to have helped.
MaryPa - I did test for NitrIte, NitrAte and Ammonia

NitrIte - 0
NitrAte - 5.0
Ammonia - 0

I wonder why the same thing has happened to so many of us? ???

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom