What's wrong!?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Watts Mason, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Watts Mason

Watts MasonValued MemberMember

I have a beta fish in a cycled 5 gallon tank with a apple snail (just added), but it is just lying there on the bottom, and when ever I tap on the glass, it gets up, swims around a little bit, and then lies down again. What's wrong?

2. ricmcc

ricmccWell Known MemberMember

Could you provide info on how long you have had the fish, how long this behaviour has been going on, etc?, pls. Thx, rick

3. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

What are your water parameters? Does the betta show any other signs of illness? Also, might be wrong, but I thought that apple snails get pretty big, are you talking about a mystery snail?

4. OP
    OP
    Watts Mason

Yeah.

5. Gekco

GekcoWell Known MemberMember

From what I know they get pretty big, I've seen some pictures with the snail the size of a persons hand...

6. BornThisWayBettas

Water parameters?

7. OP
    OP
    Watts Mason

I rescued it from petco on Monday, since this morning, ammonia 0.0 ppm. I cycled it by putting this filter in my cycled guppy tank for three weeks.

8. OP
    OP
    Watts Mason

I moved in the mystery snail from the guppy tank a few hours ago because there was a lot of extra food that the betta refused to eat.

9. BornThisWayBettas

What test kit is being used and what are the nitrites and nitrates?

10. OP
    OP
    Watts Mason

I don't know.

11. BornThisWayBettas

Hmm, then how did you know the ammonia levels? Just curious. Okay, well, um, is there any way to get the water tested?

12. lbonini1

lbonini1Well Known MemberMember

Watts Mason if you want us to give you a good answer on what may be wrong, you have to cooperate just a little bit. I hate to sound rude but you're being awfully vague about some things here, please try to give us as many details as possible.

Like what BTWB asked, what are the Nitrite and Nitrate levels? Those are important to know because for one Nitrite is lethal and so is Nitrate in really high levels.

If you're using strips, those are horribly inaccurate so most of us recommend the API Freshwater Master Test Kit since it is a liquid test and therefore more accurate.

13. ricmcc

ricmccWell Known MemberMember

I take it that you mean that you got the fish this past Monday, and posted about its being ill the following day?
    It would sound, obviously, like the fish was ill at the time that you obtained it. You might return it to Petco for replacement, or attempt to treat it. The problem with treatment is that there is no guarantee that it will work, especially as the symptoms that you describe (general listlessness, lack of appetite) are seen in so many disorders that you will be basically treating an illness without knowing just which illness is being treated.
    I hate to sound so defeatist, but I think that replacement might be your better option.
    Best of luck, rick

Btw, when you say that you rescued the fish, am I correct in thinking that you are referring to the terrible conditions that betas are normally kept in at big box stores, or to something more specific, such as the fish already looking a little off colour? Also, I should have asked earlier, but has there been any painting, gluing, use of areasols near the tank recently?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  14. happyfins14Valued MemberMember

I heard bettas lie down at the bottom when they're cold; do you have a heater?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  15. OP
    OP
    Watts Mason

August 6th: Woke up to find a moldy Betta fish.
    I am selling all of  .

16. BornThisWayBettas

Oh no! I'm so sorry for your loss, darling. :'( :console:

17. happyfins14Valued MemberMember

Aw so sorry!!!!!

Good luck with any future fish though

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice