What's wrong?

1. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

I have two goldfish in a 20 gallon tank. I've had them for about a month or two, and both have seemed fine up until now. One of them is floating on his side like he's about to die... :( I thought this was kind of weird, especially because I had just done a water change a couple days ago. Well, after testing the water, I got perfect results (0 ammonia and nitrite, 10 nitrate). Just to be sure I tested again, then got the same results. I noticed some gasping at the surface (definitely not enough to where I would normally start to worry) so I added an air stone just in case.

Well, he still looks the same, except he's trying to swim around a little more. I think this is just because of the extra current though. I have no idea what's wrong with him and have no idea what else to do. Can anybody guess what's wrong?

2. STLBluesFan Member Member

he could just be constipated, maybe try not feeding for a couple days and see what happens, egg shaped goldfish tend to do that.. and if you want to try feeding you should try a peeled pea... thats like a laxitive for them

3. Salazar Member Member

is it possible that it has swim bladder? you should look into that. but STLBluesFan could be right about constipation. either way, you should :;google

4. STLBluesFan Member Member

before i got my ryukin, i read and read and read about goldish, and the one thing that i read over and over again is that the egg shaped goldfish, eg. fantail, ryukin, oranda, etc etc.. they are prone to get constipated and float on thier side or upside down, and that it was commonly confused with swim bladder issues...

5. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

So, what can I do for him? I doubt he'd be likely to eat anything even if I tried to feed him, but I'll stop for a couple days

6. STLBluesFan Member Member

after a couple days. if hes still floating.. then its probable that it is swim bladder issues

7. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

He's not floating anymore... now he's just laying on the bottom (on his side)?

8. STLBluesFan Member Member

hmm, what i would do is start doing daily water changes.. thats usually the best medicine for anything

9. Salazar Member Member

STLBluesFan is right... but avoid big water changes as to not stress the fish. you can also use stress coat. that helps a little.
    :;betta2

10. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Ok, I'm on it!

I'm pretty upset- I really don't understand what's going on or what I've done wrong... ANY guesses are welcome at this point. Sadly, I don't think he's going to make it, but I want to be sure nothing happens to the other goldfish- who looks/seems fine.

11. Shine Well Known Member Member

Basically any 'egg shaped' goldfish has a been bred for spinal deformities so they often have intestinal problems as well. Given that its entirely possible that this is genetic. However I would still recommend trying some water changes and trying the peas in case this is caused by constipation/swim bladder.

12. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

I think I'll stick with normal goldfish from now on...

I started doing water changes and I don't think he's in any shape to eat

Thanks for the help

13. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Not in a 20 :)

Seriously though, goldfish are big fish and belong in big tanks. 2 in a 20 is a temporary situation that will never be as good as it is today. What I mean by that is, the fish are only going to get bigger which will in turn make the tank less and less suitable for them.

14. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

I realize goldfish get big. I got the two from a friend who kept them in a bowl, and I guess now I might be a little less crowded :( I don't plan on getting any more anytime soon, I was just saying that if I ever do even think about getting goldfish (for bigger tanks or ponds), they definitely won't be telescopes/egg-shaped goldfish.

15. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, the telescopes are really tough. They really need a special tank since the eyes are prone to injury.

I have two egg goldfish - my avatar and an orange one. The one in the avatar has never had any issues whatsoever. The orange one, however, has always had swim bladder issues. It's good most of the time, but it regularly will have temporary bouts with buoyancy issues. When you have these kinds of fish, you have to determine what's normal for THEM.

16. snapper Well Known Member Member

I have one that gets floaty and the best solution I've found is feeding food with probiotics. You can get Jump Start pellets from goldfish connection or make your own gel food with an acidophilus tablet added to the batch. Constipation is another problem if they get backed up and it puts pressure on their swim bladder. I have seen a goldie float and sink like that and then poop an incredible amount and get better Another thing you could try if you have a hospital tank is try putting the affected fish in there with a lower water level. If nothing is working and the fish will still eat, goldfish connection also has a medicated food called metro meds that I have seen produce amazing results. The one I have problems with went through a course of metro meds, and it helped her a ton. Just be sure to feed a lot (1% of body weight, which is more than you would think) and follow it up with the jump start to regrow the beneficial gut bacteria. They sell both in a combo pack. Good luck with your fish. :) You are doing great by keeping the water fresh, although I disagree with a prior poster that large changes should be avoided. As long as the temp and pH match, go ahead and go big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the help everybody! Sadly he died this morning :(

snapper- I'll definitely still go out and get those foods just in case this happens again

18. snapper Well Known Member Member

Awwww. So sorry. :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Salazar Member Member

oh my gosh! how awful. when a fish dies it is so sad.:(

in memorial of the goldfish
    :;fg

20. SallImSayin Member Member

Sorry about your fish. :(