What's Wrong With This Water Wisteria? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Dash Riprock, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Dash RiprockNew MemberMember

I got some water wisteria a couple of weeks ago for a 5.5 gallon betta tank. The stems seem to be rotting off - see the stalk on the left. Is this normal?

I initially tried to plant it but they kept floating to the top. Then I noticed the bottom of the stems were rotting, so I trimmed them back and just let it float. But the stems still seem to be rotting.

Should I cut them back some more?[​IMG]

2. ShamFish97Valued MemberMember

What substrate are you using? I haven't trimmed my wisteria back once, they are a bit rooty but they look fine.

3. jennalynnjValued MemberMember

Same thing seems to be happening with mine. I have had it a few weeks also. It had roots when i got it, now it is short stem cuttings off of the top. I stuck them in the substrate to grow roots. Don't know if that is better or worse...

4. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

I would cut the rotting part off right above where it is rotting. Sometimes my Pothos cuttings do that. Once trimmed above the bad spots it usually stops spreading.

5. Dash RiprockNew MemberMember

It's just basic Petsmart aquarium gravel. Probably not the best substrate to grow plants but I've got an anubius in there that's doing great. And as I said, I've been letting this float and it still happened.

I thought ww was nearly indestructible?

6. ShamFish97Valued MemberMember

I grew mine out in gravel, and then moved it to sand. It usually is. Do what @mattgirl suggested and trim those rotten parts off, and hopefully it will be fine from there on.

7. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Cut it just above the rotted stem then take a water bottle cap cut an X in it n push your pinky through it then put the stem through that Then cover it with your gravel... are you using any ferts? Nilog Thrive is a great all in one that will help all your plants.. a small bottle will last along time in your 5.5. Good luck!!

8. Dash RiprockNew MemberMember

Well, I've already trimmed it once, and now it's happening again. So I'm wondering if something else is going on, or maybe it just takes them a while to get acclimated? I hate to cut too much, once more and I'm pretty much left with just the leaves.

I've been dosing a small amount of Flourish once or twice a week, which the anubius seems to love. I wasn't sure if ww needed it or not.

9. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Flourish will help but not very much seeing it only has a trace amout of nutrients where as Thrive has all the nutrients your plants need to grow. did you say what type of light you are using?

10. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Yes WW will usually shoot some roots out of the stems and you can cut slightly below them and replant it.

11. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Hopefully by removing the bad part this time it will stop the melt. If you don't it will just continue up the stem. Is it possible that the water is too warm? I am not sure temp matters but i would think cooler is better than too warm.

I am using both Thrive liquid and Thrive root tabs and my WW is growing very well. So well in fact that one stem was growing leaves almost to the top. I cut it off, replanted the part I cut off and new growth is already growing where I cut it.

You can force new growth by cutting the leaves off close to the stem. New growth should start on each side of the stem where the leaves were connected. Some of the leaves came off the plant shortly after I got it. I left them floating and some of them started growing a new plant at the base of the leaf.

I have a feeling mine are doing this well because of the ferts I am giving them. You may want to consider something other than Flourish. None of my plants were doing well when I was using it and Flourish Excel.

12. jennalynnjValued MemberMember

Any luck OP? One of mine is still in the substrate and two have rotted farther up and are now floating with the rotten part cut off again... hope yours have had better. Luck

13. Dash RiprockNew MemberMember

I trimmed the stalks again after the initial post and replanted (I think) 4 in the gravel and let 2 float. This time I planted them in a spot as far away from the HOB as I can reasonably get in a 5.5 gallon tank, hoping maybe they wouldn't get jostled around quite as much from the flow. So far those in the gravel have stayed put and the floating ones have not redeveloped any additional rot. Fingers crossed.

14. WraithenFishlore VIPMember

The rot is an injury, not a disease. You have to trim it off aggressively. The reason the rot kept coming back is because you injured the stem when planting in the gravel. Stems are delicate when planting. And easier and safer method, especially if you want a lot of growth quickly, is to plant it sideways. Lay the stem down in a small trench you've dug with a finger, lay the stem lengthwise in it being careful to make sure all or most of the leaves are up, and gently pile the gravel over the stem. You only need to bury it enough to hold it down securely. The plant will grow shoots where every leaf is, and will grow the stem sideways similar to a rhizome plant.

15. Dash RiprockNew MemberMember

Oh wow, thanks! That makes perfect sense - this is exactly what I was hoping to learn.

I had read about planting sideways and it sounded really cool. I was hoping this initial bunch would take off and I could get some clippings to try that with. The tank is starting to get a little crowded but some horizontal growth around the bottom would look awesome, I think.