What's wrong with this betta?

1. blakeugan Well Known Member Member

I came to check in on my cousins betta. I convinced them to go from a bowl to a 1 gallon filtered tank. (I know. Not great, but better) The first picture is 2 weeks ago. The other 2 pics are now. This is the first time I've seen it since they got him. What's wrong with him?
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1465760587.380988.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1465760601.588729.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1465760613.274759.jpg

2. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

Not sure. The tank is prolly not cycled. Is he lethargic? What is the temp of his tank? what are his Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate readings. Any signs of Ich or any fungus?

3. blakeugan Well Known Member Member

Not lethargic. Swimming all over the place. They didn't buy a test kit or thermometer :(. He has that white spot on his head that looks like it was attacked, although it obviously wasn't. Idk what that is

4. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

5. blakeugan Well Known Member Member

6. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

BettaFix is EXACTLY what you need.

7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think you need to use BettaFix either. Large, frequent water changes should fix the fin rot.

In my opinion, Bettafix, Melafix, and Pimafix are mostly useless. If it's severe enough to need treatment, you'll need something stronger than those. If those will treat it, lots of fresh, clean water will likely treat it too, without their use.

Don't know what the head issue is though.

8. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

I say never use Betta fix in a tank smaller than 5 gallons but he looks fine as far as I can see.

9. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

10. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Could be! Large, frequent water changes should help those heal, but the plant should be removed if that's the case.

11. blakeugan Well Known Member Member

I actually think that's it. It's pretty hard. We are going to replace it now

12. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

That is what I was thinking too. Bettas like to snuggle in the plants and overlook the tank kinda like a cat. I like Cabomba or Hornwort, but that stuff grows so fast!

13. blakeugan Well Known Member Member

Idk if geting live plants is a good idea in a one gallon uncycled tank with a basic light

14. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Plants can help protect the fish in an uncycled tank - some take in small amounts of ammonia.

15. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

OK, a girl at work has a betta bowl on her desk (2 gallon I think) and she has a Pothos stuck in it. The Betta lurks in the roots.