Whats wrong with Shelly?!

1. Tanaya35

Tanaya35 New Member Member

My gold Inca snail has been curled up for almost a week now. This is my very first snail and I don't have any idea of what could be wrong. This is what it looks like

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any information would be great. My tank is a 30 gal and has been up and running with no issues for over a year. Please someone tell me what's wrong with my snail!!! I feel really stupid for not doing any research

2. peregrine

peregrine Valued Member Member

First welcome to the forum.

Second has it been this way since you got it? or it was fine then suddenly started doing this?

3. xxbyamomentx

xxbyamomentx Valued Member Member

What are your water parameters? Have you switched water sources for your tank recently? Anything with the potential of copper pipes can be dangerous, but if you're using the same faucet or source you've been using, that probably isn't it. Definitely check ammonia and nitrites especially when you test your water.

It also looks like she has a pretty large chip on her shell...is that from recent trauma? Could she have fallen? Is there anyone else in the tank that could be picking on her?

4. OP
    OP
    Tanaya35

Thank you peregrine. It was given to me just over a month ago and has been very active up till recently. I just checked my parameters and my nitrates were 200+ so I just did a 60% water change. I'm out of test strips so when my husband gets home we are going to the fish store. But so far so good. All the other levels are:
    Nitrates 200+
    Nitrites 0
    Hardness 150
    Alkalinity 80
    pH 7.2

The chip on its shell was already there when it was given to me. It looks like it patched it up pretty good. Shelly is hanging out at the top of the tank now as I type.

5. rainman

rainman Well Known Member Member

Hopefully he will recover from the high nitrate levels. The test strips are convenient, but if any water or moisture gets near/in the container they foul all of them.

If the tank has been set up for a long time, it will be very good at quickly converting ammonia to nitrite then to nitrate.

What is the stock of the tank?

6. OP
    OP
    Tanaya35

I have 2 angel fish, 2 zebra Danios, a pleco and my gold snail. Shelly seems to be OK. He/she is stuck to the glass at the top of the tank. Also I keep my test strips and all that stuff put up in a cupboard away from any moisture

7. xxbyamomentx

If you can, get an API master test kit instead of test strips next time. It's more expensive at first, but lasts a lot longer than the test strips and is much more accurate. Is he/she eating and moving around, or just stuck to one part of the glass and sliming? What is the current nitrate level?

8. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

My female Angel fish killed 3 of my mystery snails before I caught her attacking my last one

9. OP
    OP
    Tanaya35

I'm definitely going to look into that master kit for sure.

10. OP
    OP
    Tanaya35

Shelly is still stuck to the glass at the top of the tank
    [​IMG]

11. OP
    OP
    Tanaya35

[​IMG]

She/he is moving a little bit. Kinda like it's kissing/ sucking on the glass

12. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

She looks fine to me. Looks like she's munching on some algae or Mabee even laying some eggs

13. xxbyamomentx

The high nitrates probably put the little guy into shock. If he's still sucking at the glass, at least he's getting some kind of snack even if it isn't his normal appetite. I think the best thing to do would be to keep a close eye on the water parameters and don't be afraid to do another water change if anything gets off track.

I'd keep the fish food type snacks out of the tank for a little while if his appetite is down and offer fresh veggies if you can (only if he eats veggies, I had a mystery before that never got the hang of it.) Algae waters can mess up a tank fast.

14. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

Just to add in, I'd probably do a few more water changes as well. Ideally you want nitrates below 20, but at least below 40...

15. OP
    OP
    Tanaya35

So... I did a 65% water change yesterday and when I tested the tank today the nitrates were still REALLY high. I just did a 50% water change. Shelley is still attached to the glass but has moved a little farther down the tank. I plan on testing the water again around dinner time and hope that the nitrates have come down at least a little bit.