Help Whats wrong with Opal?

sarahbear

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi I have had my male Betta,Opal, for nearly 2 years. He lives in a 4 litre bowl with small pebbles in the bottom and a small ornament with a plastic plant. I will be honest and admit that I never really knew anything about heating the water but he has always been happy and full of personality.I got our newest Betta,Flame, a few weeks ago. He is in the same sort of set up as Opal but he immediately got ill due to the cold water, so we were told to put an overhead lamp over the tanks and now Flame is thriving but Opal just seems to be really lethargic lately. He usually has a healthy appetite but I haven't seen him eat in a few days and he is just sitting on the bottom of the tank, barely moving. I tried him on new food recently and he wouldn't eat it so I went back to his usual and he was eating that fine until a few days ago.
I'm just wondering if it could be suddenly having the lamp over him and the warmer water is making him sick. I try to keep a steady temp all the time, around 24 degrees celsius. They both get cleaned out completely every few days and I use water ager/conditioner in the clean water.
Any ideas on why Opal is suddenly so lifeless?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Sarahbear, Welcome to Fishlore! I'm sorry to hear that your Betta isn't well. I'm afraid that the problem could just be old age. Bettas don't have a long Lifespan and 2 years is fairly old for a Betta. I see in your aquarium info that you don't know about the nitrogen cycle, this is an important part of keeping fish, and the link provided is a great article which is very helpful. Good Luck!

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The environment is very small for them (about 1 Gal), we usually recommend 5 gals each, but no smaller than 2.5Gal.

It may well be old age, my Neptune acted exactly the same when he got old. Sat at the bottom, ate much less and didn't move...

I hope he picks up, but 2 years is a good age for a store bought betta!

sarahbear

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks for the info will definately read the nitrate info.
I didn't realise the tank was too small, I guess pet shop info can be deceiving but I knew that tiny little tank he came in was too small!
I hope he picks up, I miss him chasing me for food!

sarahbear

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
He keeps floping on his side on the pebbles, is this another old age thing?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!!!
I'm sorry about your betta isn't doing well.
Any chance something was sprayed in the room and got in his water?
Could be like the others have said, age.

Best of luck, I hope he perks up for you.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Good thinking Lucy! Neptune half flopped about too, resting against things, so possibly sarahbear, yes.

Any other factors that have been different in the past few weeks that could have caused him to behave differently?

sarahbear

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
We did get a new betta and he is in the tank next door. When Opal starting acting funny a few days ago my fiance thought he wasn't happy about having a neighbour and put up a barrier so they couldn't see each other but it did nothing. Apart from that nothing is different and I don't remember spraying anything different around him.
Could the lamp above him be bothering him?
Also I just he isn't eating and I just tried giving him garlic soaked pea and he just wasn't interested.
His colour has faded in the last day and he is just laying on the bottom of the tank, only moving for a second when I annoy him enough. He just looks so sad and its making me sad. I'm afraid that he wont be with me in the morning

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm so sorry. I know it's such a helpless feeling.

How warm is the water? Do you turn the lamp off at night? You'll want to avoid tempertaure fluctuations.

I'm sorry I don't have any concrete answers. Just throwing some things out there for you to think about.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My betta faded too a little near the end, it is very frustrating not knowing what to do or what is wrong.
It is very sad, and I do hope it all gets better for you

sarahbear

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I turn the lamp off for small amounts of time tog ive them a break from the light, but not long enough for the temp to fluctuate too much.
Opal is still with us today but is doing the same :-( i guess i'll just keep offering him food and wait it out.

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorry to hear about your fishy feeling sick
Is there any discolouration about Opals gills? Have they turned white, grey or dark red? Any signs of fungus growing on their scales? Someone mentioned in another thread shining a torch over them to highlight fungus which might be hard to see.

You could try getting a small filter to use on the tank. I find activated carbon is always very helpful when a fish is feeling sick. Might be hard to fit since the tank is small though

Any chance you can get us some pictures?

sarahbear

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The only discolouration I can see is on his head, it is quite faded and mottled with white. I can try to get a photo but I just put in some aquamaster multicure that the pet shop recommended because I was desperate so the water is now green. He isnt much different since I put it in but he has eaten a few little pellets which is good.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The water really should be going through a filter if you are going to medicate, but not a filter with carbon. There are some very inexpensive (like $5) sponge filters that are great for betta bowls. They run off an air pump.
somethint like this would be perfect.
Ran by something

Im sure your local fish or pet store have something similar

sarahbear

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Since I have been instructed not to start a new thread about Opal, should I take his heat light away or will he get sick?

Deeps

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
As per your other thread, you said that temperature is at 24 degress, which is not bad and shldnt stress him..Just trying moving it bit by bit away from him just to make sure that the temp doesnt fall down rapidly which might stress him even more.....
As far as I know, they enjoy even bit higher temperatures...
Hope he recovers soon

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom