What's wrong with new betta?

Roomcat

5 days ago I bought a betta male. He seemed to be allright and active. But after a day all he does is hide in a leaf or behind the filter.

He also hasn't eaten yet and it has almost been a week. I never see the betta. I know that my filter current is a little strong but idk if this is the issue. I also cannot change the strength.

It's a 60 litre tank/around 16 gallons. It has been set up for 5 months now and theres 3 platies in there who are just fine.

LadfromLondon

Tank parameters?
Is it cycled?
What kind of filter is it?
What are you trying to feed?

These will all help :)

Roomcat

TW2AQUATICS said:
Tank parameters?
Is it cycled?
What kind of filter is it?
What are you trying to feed?

These will all help :)
Its an internal filter from Juwel
Tank is cycled
Idk the parameters since I have no tests but plants and fish are doing well
I'm feeding flake food

LadfromLondon

He’s probably still shy and adjusting to surroundings.

You should invest in a test kit, it’ll help diagnose any issues :)

Desi

I’d guess that the betta is stressed out big time by the platy fish. Bettas are best kept alone in a ten gallon. The 16 gallon you’re housing all four fish in now is too small. Platies like a lot of space to swim and wonder. I’d get the betta it’s own tank or rehome the platies or the betta.
You can slow a filter flow buy using a water bottle or filter sponge as a baffle. There’s videos on YouTube on how to do that.

Roomcat

Desi said:
I’d guess that the betta is stressed out big time by the platy fish. Bettas are best kept alone in a ten gallon. The 16 gallon you’re housing all four fish in now is too small. Platies like a lot of space to swim and wonder. I’d get the betta it’s own tank or rehome the platies or the betta.
You can slow a filter flow buy using a water bottle or filter sponge as a baffle. There’s videos on YouTube on how to do that.
Isn't that bad for the surface agitation? The water surface needs to get the ripple effect right?

Desi

Roomcat said:
Isn't that bad for the surface agitation? The water surface needs to get the ripple effect right?
It still will have some movement, but bettas especially long finned ones prefer pretty still water. Or you could switch to a sponge filter. I don’t own one but a lot of people on here have them for there betta tanks :)

Roomcat

Desi said:
It still will have some movement, but bettas especially long finned ones prefer pretty still water. Or you could switch to a sponge filter. I don’t own one but a lot of people on here have them for there betta tanks :)
No idea how to make my filter go slower. I have a ''Juwel Bioflow one''. Can't fix it up with the bottle trick :(

LanceDog

I looked up that filter, usually a cut up bottle can be modified to work with most filters but I'm not sure that trick will work with this one. I would either switch filters (and make sure you use the old media so the tank remains cycled), or switch the betta to his own tank with a gentle filter. It's normal for a new betta to not want to eat, but he'll probably ease up if you can fix the filter flow issue.

Roomcat

LanceDog said:
I looked up that filter, usually a cut up bottle can be modified to work with most filters but I'm not sure that trick will work with this one. I would either switch filters (and make sure you use the old media so the tank remains cycled), or switch the betta to his own tank with a gentle filter. It's normal for a new betta to not want to eat, but he'll probably ease up if you can fix the filter flow issue.
I put a small piecie of sponge between the output and the 02 nozzle and the current is very calmly now! I can see some ripples from underneath the water but it's not moving everywhere. Is this a problem?

LanceDog

You should be all right as long as you have water still moving thru the filter. Make sure the water is not trying to escape elsewhere or that the sponge is backing up water

Top Bottom