What’s wrong with neon tetra??

GingerV513

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I unexpectedly received 5 neon tetras yesterday who looked sickly, dorsal and tail fins ragged (three were severe) and one of the three was very lethargic. I put them in a small quarantine tank over night before I add them to my tank with other fish and this morning one was dead. I’m not completely surprised and assume it was the lethargic one... wish I could have done more though but I just don’t know! Now today the remaining 4 are acting seemingly active but one has no color on the middle of its body!!, see pic. I didn’t notice this yesterday so I think it happened over night. Any knowledge or tips??? Should I medicate them?? I have aquarium salt on hand and some other meds, but I know that can be stressful to them. Someone yesterday mentioned they might have Columnaris, but all I saw was the nipped fins so I wasn’t sure and idk if the body discoloration is another symptom and if so should I medicate since they seem to be dying.....

Attachments

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its more likely to be Columnaris, but correct diagnosis really doesn't matter that much as it is very difficult to treat at an advanced stage (and by the time you see it on a tiny fish like a Neon Tetra it's advanced).

Provide the best living conditions that you can and hope for the best. It seems specific to the Neon Tetra from what I've seen.

OP
GingerV513

GingerV513

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Redshark1 said:
Its more likely to be Columnaris, but correct diagnosis really doesn't matter that much as it is very difficult to treat at an advanced stage (and by the time you see it on a tiny fish like a Neon Tetra it's advanced).

Provide the best living conditions that you can and hope for the best. It seems specific to the Neon Tetra from what I've seen.
It sucks because all I have is a really small tank to quarantine them in. I feel like they will be much happier in the ten gallon planted tank they will eventually be in, but I’m scared to infect my other fish...

OP
GingerV513

GingerV513

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The one with the discolored patch is currently dying I’m pretty sure. I hope the rest survive...

OP
GingerV513

GingerV513

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ugh he’s swimming around the top of the tank sideways twitching. Poor guy idk what to do

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In my tank it would be swift euthanasia no question.

The discolouration is due to the Columnaris bacteria (or Pleistophora in the much rarer Neon Tetra Disease) entering the body of the fish and feeding on the muscle tissue.

Columnaris seems to go for the skin and fins (which the fish may recover from), the gills (which stops the fish from accessing oxygen) and the muscle tissue.

Pleistophora goes straight for the muscle as far as I'm aware.

The main scientific study into it found that NTD is very rare. Virtually all cases of Neon Tetra Disease that were reported with samples for testing proved to be Columnaris.

OP
GingerV513

GingerV513

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Redshark1 said:
In my tank it would be swift euthanasia no question.

The discolouration is due to the Columnaris bacteria (or Pleistophora in the much rarer Neon Tetra Disease) entering the body of the fish and feeding on the muscle tissue.

Columnaris seems to go for the skin and fins (which the fish may recover from), the gills (which stops the fish from accessing oxygen) and the muscle tissue.

Pleistophora goes straight for the muscle as far as I'm aware.

The main scientific study into it found that NTD is very rare. Virtually all cases of Neon Tetra Disease that were reported with samples for testing proved to be Columnaris.
Yeah I figured it was Columnaris after further research. I ended up euthanizing and it was a little traumatizing but I had to. This morning I woke up and two more were dead leaving only one alive. Hopefully he survives. This is the second time my dad have given me fish from that fish store and both times they were in bad shape. That place is awful..

New Threads