What’s Wrong With My Tank? Somehow my fish keep getting stuff

Valentina544
long story short, Its been an uphill battle with my tank. Somehow my fish keep getting stuff and I howsbtly don’t know why. I check the water all the time and I make sure everything is in normal limits. I recently had a powder gourami in QT due to possible bloat, it’s been a month and a half now an he’s still alive but now I have another one with a swollen pectoral fin of some sort. He is lethargic, I don’t think he’s eating and he’s hiding. But it doesn’t look like bloat.

Attachments

• 9EADBC67-839E-4079-BB1D-203320860832.jpeg
    9EADBC67-839E-4079-BB1D-203320860832.jpeg
    40 KB · Views: 94
  • CC5FB715-C44F-46B4-B061-23610AC2DAAC.jpeg
    CC5FB715-C44F-46B4-B061-23610AC2DAAC.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 1688E22A-244F-4247-80B5-F9AA3233E3E1.jpeg
    1688E22A-244F-4247-80B5-F9AA3233E3E1.jpeg
    43.4 KB · Views: 100
NavyChief20
Whats that ring thing in the second pic? Is your tank near a window? What are your water parameters specifically pH, hardness and nitrite. Also how is your CO2?

AquaticJ
Your profile says you don’t know of the nitrogen cycle, I HIGHLY suggest you click on the blue words and read about it. As NavyChief20 said, can you give us your specific parameters? Ammonia included.

Hunter1
Looks to me your water is green and cloudy, maybe a bacteria bloom?

After looking at your profile, I have to ask if all of that stock is in one 20 gallon tank?

And is the goldfish with tropical fish?

We really want to help.

But if you could answer the questions posed by NC20 and AquaticJ, we’ll have a better idea of what advice to give.

Do you have a liquid test kit? If not, your first purchase should be the API master test kit, $25 on Amazon.

And good luck.

DoubleDutch
It isn't a Powder but a C.labiosa (Thick lipped). What is it fed ? The water looks green indeed. Algaebloom I'd say.

Valentina544
The ring thi
Whats that ring thing in the second pic? Is your tank near a window? What are your water parameters specifically pH, hardness and nitrite. Also how is your CO2?
The ring thing is a betta log, my tank is near a window but not directly in front, I don’t know how to check the CO2, ph is 7.2 nitrite 20 nitrate 20 ammonia 0, water is hard

Your profile says you don’t know of the nitrogen cycle, I HIGHLY suggest you click on the blue words and read about it. As NavyChief20 said, can you give us your specific parameters? Ammonia included.
Posted!

Looks to me your water is green and cloudy, maybe a bacteria bloom?

After looking at your profile, I have to ask if all of that stock is in one 20 gallon tank?

And is the goldfish with tropical fish?

We really want to help.

But if you could answer the questions posed by NC20 and AquaticJ, we’ll have a better idea of what advice to give.

Do you have a liquid test kit? If not, your first purchase should be the API master test kit, $25 on Amazon.

And good luck.
Water is green due fungus cure that I’ve been putting In, I do have a liquid test kit and I have the strips as well I check my water 1-2x a week to make sure that it’s ok for my fish.

It isn't a Powder but a C.labiosa (Thick lipped). What is it fed ? The water looks green indeed. Algaebloom I'd say.
It’s green due to a fungus cure medication I’m using, the one in the picture is not my powder blue one, that one is in QT right now

I feed them frozen brine shrimp

DoubleDutch
I got that by your other thread Valentina.
Also that you did know you had more species of gouramis hahaha.
It’s green due to a fungus cure medication I’m using, the one in the picture is not my powder blue one, that one is in QT right now

DoubleDutch
Gouramis are omnivores and could use some algae / vegs (blanched spinach/lettuce) in their diet.
I feed them frozen brine shrimp

Valentina544
Gouramis are omnivores and could use some algae / vegs (blanched spinach/lettuce) in their diet.
I have tried blanched squash and cucumber but they don’t even touch it and it goes bad so I have to take it out of my tank.

midna
your fish getting ill sounds like a stocking issue. I read a bit of your other thread and profile and the majority of the fish you have right now are not suited for your size tank -- some of them aren't even temperature compatible. I bet if you get rid of the problematic fish, or buy the correct tank sizes and divide the fish up appropriately, then you'll have a lot less issues.

it probably doesn't help if the fish you bought were sickly to begin with. try to buy the healthiest fish you see from reputable sellers. avoid buying fish from tanks that have a lot of dead fish.

also, if your nitrites are 20 like you say it is, I don't know how any of your fish are alive lol. anything above 0 is potentially toxic.

Valentina544
I got that by your other thread Valentina.
Also that you did know you had more species of gouramis hahaha.
Yes, they were all different gouramis, I was trying to keep my post as short and to the point but I see that I missed some stuff! My bad

your fish getting ill sounds like a stocking issue. I read a bit of your other thread and profile and the majority of the fish you have right now are not suited for your size tank -- some of them aren't even temperature compatible. I bet if you get rid of the problematic fish, or buy the correct tank sizes and divide the fish up appropriately, then you'll have a lot less issues.

it probably doesn't help if the fish you bought were sickly to begin with. try to buy the healthiest fish you see from reputable sellers. avoid buying fish from tanks that have a lot of dead fish.

also, if your nitrites are 20 like you say it is, I don't know how any of your fish are alive lol. anything above 0 is potentially toxic.

I’m going by the chart on the testing strips it says my nitrate is safe

Attachments

• 5DA0701E-D609-4325-8CF2-EEFFAC6DFAC6.jpeg
    5DA0701E-D609-4325-8CF2-EEFFAC6DFAC6.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 75
RainBetta
Agreed. Your stock is the problem. Some of your fish need colder temperatures. Some of them need to be in schools of 6+. Some of them are WAY to big for a 20G. Most of them aren't compatible. This is the cause of illness. For example, schooling fish (i.e. Black neons) have a higher - and likely - chance of getting sick. I would post another thread and you should discuss how you can fix your stocking issues. Most likely, that will help take care of most of the illnesses.

Also, how often do you do water changes? Is your tank heavily planted, too?

I’m going by the chart on the testing strips it says my nitrate is safe
midnais talking about nitrites, not nitrates.

Valentina544
midnais talking about nitrites, not nitrates.
My bad! I totally read their post wrong

Agreed. Your stock is the problem. Some of your fish need colder temperatures. Some of them need to be in schools of 6+. Some of them are WAY to big for a 20G. Most of them aren't compatible. This is the cause of illness. For example, schooling fish (i.e. Black neons and cories) have a higher - and likely - chance of getting sick. I would post another thread and you should discuss how you can fix your stocking issues. Most likely, that will help take care of most of the illnesses.

Also, how often do you do water changes? Is your tank heavily planted, too?
Thank you for your post I do agree that my tank is overstocked and I’ve been trying to oversonpensate with a bigger filter and what not. I bought all my fish at chain pet stores and was obviously extremely misinformed on compatabilities and tank set up/stocking so now I’m desling with the consequences. My tank has two smaller plants about 2 inches high and two medium sized ones that are about 5-6 inches high

RainBetta
Okay! I'm glad that you have noticed the issues! I really can't stand it when people don't realize that the don't have appropriate stocks. Oh, also, the only fish you can really have in a 20G are the gouramis or the black neons of the goldfish (bare minimum) Angelfish and Albino plecos need at least a 29G (hopefully bigger for the angel!), most Algae eaters should be in a bigger tank as well. Thank you!

If I were you, I'd get rid of the bigger fish and change you stock to this:
x8 black neon tetras
x1 Gourami (give the sick one to a trusted friend or a good LFS)

I'm so sorry that your fish aren't doing well

Hunter1
Lots of bad news in the last few posts.

But the good news is you came to the right place.

These folks will help you.

You either need additional tanks, or to rehome some of your fish.

And the goldfish is a cold water fish and in tropical fish temperatures will be prone to illness and metabolism will be speeded up so it will age quicker.

RainBetta
My bad! I totally read their post wrong

Thank you for your post I do agree that my tank is overstocked and I’ve been trying to oversonpensate with a bigger filter and what not. I bought all my fish at chain pet stores and was obviously extremely misinformed on compatabilities and tank set up/stocking so now I’m desling with the consequences. My tank has two smaller plants about 2 inches high and two medium sized ones that are about 5-6 inches high
IMO overstocking isn't always about filtration. You might have a 75G filter or better, but each fish in you tank needs to have a territory or a spot to get away from the other fish. Sorry for ranting

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
V1K
Replies
Views
cichlid4life
Top Bottom