What's Wrong With My Silver Dollar Baby?

Velle

Member
HI all,

I've managed to breed some silver dollars from the ones I have in the community tank, and they are now almost 2 months old.

Last night I noticed a "patch" on one of the babies, and I dosed the tank with melafix & pimafix just in case. Today I noticed that the patch has gotten larger. I've attached the photos in my post.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with it? My water parameters are as follows:

Ammonia <0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5-10
Ph 7.0
GH 197

Thanks in advance!

Cheers.
 

Attachments

blewishblue

Member

Rtessy

Member
Is the patch a divit or raised? Most likely bacterial, you'll need something stronger than melafix unfortunately. I've had good luck with Kanaplex for weird things, but you may want Macaryn or Furan 2
Edit: fungal infections can only set in if there is already dead tissue, so even if it is fungal, you have to treat the thing that caused the dead tissue first, which is more than likely bacterial
 

Cheesecake

Member
Yeah, looks like a form of fungus. You should take the infected fish out and into a quarantine tank ASAP. You don't want it spreading to other fish.
 

Kalyke

Member
Canaculus said:
Yeah, looks like a form of fungus. You should take the infected fish out and into a quarantine tank ASAP. You don't want it spreading to other fish.
I agree.
 

Rtessy

Member
Canaculus said:
Yeah, looks like a form of fungus. You should take the infected fish out and into a quarantine tank ASAP. You don't want it spreading to other fish.
Its not fungal, fungal can't set in unless there's another infection, namely bacterial, that causes dead tissue. Fungus needs dead tissue to set in, and tissue doesn't just randomly die. Most things that look fungal are actually bacterial, such as columnaris.
 
  • Thread Starter

Velle

Member
Thank you. I've taken it out and put it in a hospital tank last night and treated it with aqua one broad spectrum remedy which was the only suitable medication I had (besides the pimafix which I think does nothing!).

It looks slightly better today. Do I need to dose anything in the community tank?

Cheers!

Rtessy said:
Is the patch a divit or raised? Most likely bacterial, you'll need something stronger than melafix unfortunately. I've had good luck with Kanaplex for weird things, but you may want Macaryn or Furan 2
Edit: fungal infections can only set in if there is already dead tissue, so even if it is fungal, you have to treat the thing that caused the dead tissue first, which is more than likely bacterial
It actually looks like the fish had scraped its side on a rock or something and then got infected? It's a little bit raised.
 

blewishblue

Member
Velle said:
Thank you. I've taken it out and put it in a hospital tank last night and treated it with aqua one broad spectrum remedy which was the only suitable medication I had (besides the pimafix which I think does nothing!).

It looks slightly better today. Do I need to dose anything in the community tank?

Cheers!

It actually looks like the fish had scraped its side on a rock or something and then got infected? It's a little bit raised.
Fish injuries, even minor ones, often turn into localized fungal infections. The bacteria and fungI that cause those localized infections live in every tank. You are doing exactly as you should. If the fish in your community tank are not showing any signs/symptoms of disease, I wouldn't do anything except a good water change - 50%. Fresh water will lessen the detrimental microorganisms and reduce the stress that may have left your fish vulnerable to infection. Fresh water should always be the first line of defense when preventing and treating fish disease.
 
  • Thread Starter

Velle

Member
Thank you! It looks much better today. As it stands, I do weekly water changes every Sunday, so that's sorted! All the fish in the community tank are looking fine, so fingers crossed no other fish gets infected!

Cheers!
 
Top Bottom