WHATS WRONG WIth MY POOR BETTA :(

1. L

Lilly New Member Member

My Betta has a strange green pimple like thing on its face. As well as that its tail is disappearing!!!!! I
    don't know what they are!!! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!! :(

(Sorry pics sideways i was rushed...)
    IMG_1015.JPG
    IMG_1016.JPG

2. mg13

mg13 Well Known Member Member

Hi, Welcome to Fishlore!

Just a note, It's not really nice to link your thread to someone else's. you can mention on of the members that know stuff related to your topic to get them to come to your thread.

A few questions to get started. What are your water Parimeters? who often do you change the water in your tank? and when did his tail disappear? has it gradually decreased or suddenly been gone?

Also, how big is the tank?

3. OP
    OP
    L

Lilly New Member Member

It is a five gal. and I change the tank every other weekend. I had not noticed the tail until today but my sister is the one who feeds it. I do everything else. She did say she hadn't seen it until I pointed it out.

(sorry about the thread...)

4. mg13

Do you have a filter and a heater inside? is there any other fish in the tank? I think you may need to clean it more often than once every two weeks.

What do you feed him? and how much? How often?

I'm pretty sure that it's fin rot.

as for the pimples, I can't see them, are you sure there is something there?

5. OP
    OP
    L

Lilly New Member Member

As I said my sister feeds him but I think it is 6 pellets a day or 12 a day. Not sure. It is only that fish in the tank and I don't have a heater or filter. It is my sisters fish but I take responsibility for it... For the pimples I will get another pic later because the tank is in my sisters room and she is sleeping. The pimple is green and I don't know if it has something to do with the fins. I hope not.

6. Z

Zed New Member Member

I agree mg13, sounds like fin rot. could be your water quality, or it could be that the fish was sick (if you haven't had it for long) Please provide water parameters, water change frequency, filtration... the more information you can give about your tank the more accurate the answer will be.

7. OP
    OP
    L

Lilly New Member Member

I have had the fish for around 2 years. And if it is fin rot what do I do...

8. Grimund

Grimund Well Known Member Member

Daily water changes. Clean water and protein will help immensely

9. mg13

also recommended for treating fin rot is AQUARIUM salt. It's not too expensive and helps ing the healing process.

NOTE: it has to be aquarium salt, DO NOT USE TABLE SALT!

10. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Actually, I don't recommend AQ salt. If overdosed or used too long it can cause liver and kidney failure. Water changes are all you need.
    Please invest in a heater and filter. Bettas need to be kept at 80, and the lack of a cycled tank is probably playing a part in his fin rot. Look up the aquarium nitrogen cycle if you haven't already:)
    Welcome to the forum!

11. mg13

I see what you're saying, but If used carefully, AQ salt is amazing, I was able to heal several fin rot cases using it.
    SO be careful when you are using AQ salt.

12. Flowingfins

Fin rot can be healed fine without it, no AQ salt at all. Daily water changes are all that is needed. It is unnecessary, and they are called freshwater fish for a reason;)

13. mg13

Sure, but even natural fresh water is not absolutely salt free like our tap water. A little bit of salt is good for the slime coat.

But you do have to remember that it doesn't evaporate out, or get filtered out, so you should only add in about half the measured amount of what you changed the water

eg. cleaned out 10 gallons out of a 30 gallon tank, add in 1 tablespoon of salt (1T per 5 US gal, = 2T divided by 1/2)

again, satt is just like ANYTHING ELSE you are going to add into your aquarium, if you're not careful, you'll cause problems.

14. Flowingfins

http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article5.html
    http://www.algone.com/using-salt-in-the-freshwater-aquarium
    The part at the bottom of this link that says "Important" in bold states that salt isn't recommended.
    While there are certainly pro's to using it (increased slime coat production, reduction of osmotic stress), the negative's(burns if not dissolved, kidney and liver failure in the case of prolonged exposure or overdose, does not evaporate, which is alarming considering that at the high temperature bettas should be kept at, water evaporates faster) greatly outweighs the pros.
    There will always be salt in the water, but in extremely small amounts. I think it is better to be safe than risk the health of my fish by adding something completely unnecessary to my aquarium.

15. mg13

Wonderful. that's defiantly something to look into.

16. Grimund

I've used salt to stop fin rot that wasn't getting better with water changes. It stopped it and I did large back to back water changes, then another couple days of water changes.

I decided to use a non pharmaceutical method, but ONLY because the rot wasn't getting better with changes.

17. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

I do agree that aquarium salt can be useful, I usually steer away from it in bettas because of the risks involved. But like Grimund said, I'd use it if I think it would be the best option to help at a certain time. Like if daily waterchanges aren't helping, I'd bring out the aquarium salt. For injuries that look like they will not go away in a day or two or are strange, I'd usually go ahead and bring it out, less of a dosage for bettas. I've been lucky and I haven't had to use it on a betta, but I have used the melafix and salt on other fish. Worked well, of course this isn't a betta, but I would still use it. Betta fix and aquarium salt for an injury, Epsom salt and betta fix for dropsy. For you case I'd say steer away from it unless it gets worse with waterchanges or persists. Keep an eye on the green spot, it may be an injury, let's hope that's what it is. But it may be something else. I suggest getting a heater and filter ASAP along with bottled bacteria, your tank isn't cycled right now and this could be causing some of these problems. Hope all works out.:)

18. SabrinaBrook

SabrinaBrook Well Known Member Member

Hi Lilly,
    You need to have a 25 watt heater for that 5 gallon tank. And place the temp on
    26c.
    You need a small filter too, even just a small sponge one. This will help with the water quality.
    Your sister is feeding him way to much, 6-12 pellets a day is far too much. Feed him 3 pellets a day if you can.
    Good luck!

19. Grimund

I feed each of mine 4 daily, 6 every third day, fast once a week, and a pea once a week, if not every other.

Sponge filter is preferred for that size. Most HOB have to be rigged to lessen the flow.

20. OP
    OP
    L

Lilly New Member Member

thank you! I still can't figure out what the green thing is though. i will post a pic as soon as i can.