Whats wrong with my Paradise fish? Photos Inc Help

1. emmett1180 Member Member

Hello all

I got a paradise fish only about 2 weeks ago, i only noticed when i got home there was a tiny 'nick' in his fins along his underside. Just thought it was a missing scale.

Now suddenly its started to get very red, i have him in a hospital tank, treating with melafix. He is very shy, hiding and sitting with his tail in the filter intake all the time. I dont think he will make it, i seen a similar thing like this before with my blue dwarf gourami.

Does anyone know a better treatment or what the cause is?

Many thanks
    Emmett

Attached Files:

2. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

I think the nick is now infected. Melafix is great to prevent this kinda thing but not good at treating it. If I'm not mistaken though melafix shouldn't be used on paradise fish. We'll see what other posters have to say about it though. I would go get some Maracyn 2, keep him in the hospital tank, does it have filtration and a heater? If not it needs it. Do waterchanges every day to keep his water SUPER clean. I'm very sorry the little guy is going through this. It looks painful for sure.

3. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

oh my ...im also so very sorry your baby is going through this..ive never seen it :( GREAT advice from cesch tho!

but yes do not use melafix on labyrinth fish...the maracyn 2 is more safe ..although ive only read about this never needed meds myself...

im saying some fishy prayers for you !!!!!!

4. emmett1180 Member Member

thanks for the quick replies guys, yea the hospital tank has filter, bubbler and heater.

I never seen Maracyn in the Uk, i wonder is there an alternative?

I had heard mixed stories about Melafix and labyrinth fish but thought it was worth a try.

So what is Melafix best used for?

5. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

I see Melafix like neosporin. You can use it after a incident or injury to prevent infection but once infection has set in antibiotics are needed..Hopefully someone can give you an alternative I'm sure there are other meds out there.

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I would think anything is worth a try right? poor thing.....

I dont use either so i cant recommend ...hope you get some more help soon!

7. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

I've never had an injury like this either..They usually heal up with super clean water and some TLC.

Shawnie do you think water changes could heal this alone? I'd hate to recommend meds when they aren't needed it just looks awful? I never know when to medicate..lol.

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

again, ive never seen this before..it looks almost prolaspe....can you google that emmett? if it is, they dont recover usually....but clean water, fresh garlic, vita chem, fish protector and stress coat+, are all ive ever used to heal

9. emmett1180 Member Member

This forum is great i love the way everyone is so helpful and quick replying its good to know there is always some to help!

Ill google the prolapse and also see what fish antibiotics are in the uk.

He is not looking good now, doubt he will make it. Might put him out of his misery with clove oil tonight.

Thanks a million everyone, if any change ill keep you posted.:;thx

10. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

I'm soo sorry he's still going poorly.

11. Elvishswimmer Member Member

I've heard that kanamycin/kanaplex is a great antibiotic if you need it. I'm not sure if it directly treats what you have, but you can maybe do some research on it and see if it is in your area.

12. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

13. Morgan Member Member

Sorry about your fish. Hope he pulls through.