What's wrong with my new Betta?

KareBear2020

New Member
Member
Messages
7
I just brought a new fish home from PetSmart and noticed he had a greyish looking patch underneath his jaw. I'm not sure if he's just old or he has a sickness. He is full of energy and is really fast. I already put him in the tank and now I'm scared he has a disease that I have to treat. Has anyone seen this before? Please help!


Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 10 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 1-2 weeks
Does it have a filter? Penguin bio wheel
Does it have a heater? 50W but not in use
What is the water temperature? 30°C/86°F
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 male Betta

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? N/A
How much of the water do you change? N/A
What do you use to treat your water? Seachem Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? N/A

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API master test kit + Seachem PH and Ammonia Alert
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.4

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? N/A
How much do you feed your fish? N/A
What brand of food do you feed your fish? N/A
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? N/A

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? A couple hours
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? After purchase
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Dry looking, greyish patch below jaw
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? I believe so
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? He's a fast swimmer with a lot of energy and likes to explore the tank



IMG_8128.jpg
IMG_8129.jpg

IMG_8138.jpg
IMG_8139.jpg
 

CheshireKat

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,163
I can't zoom into the photos so I can't get a good look. But it appears to be silver or gray scales. I had a red female with that. Is it fuzzy? Is is coming off the body? Is it raised?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
K

KareBear2020

New Member
Member
Messages
7
CheshireKat said:
I can't zoom into the photos so I can't get a good look. But it appears to be silver or gray scales. I had a red female with that. Is it fuzzy? Is is coming off the body? Is it raised?
Sorry about the small pic. I attached a larger version.
It looks like it's raised and stuck on his face. It's not fuzzy.

Could I treat it with aquarium salt?

Thanks for helping.
 

Attachments

SilverLake

Active Member
Member
Messages
136
KareBear2020 said:
Sorry about the small pic. I attached a larger version.
It looks like it's raised and stuck on his face. It's not fuzzy.

Could I treat it with aquarium salt?

Thanks for helping.
If you're worried about it, then yes, you could dose. I would treat it and then see if there is any change in him and the patch tomorrow.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
K

KareBear2020

New Member
Member
Messages
7
SilverLake said:
If you're worried about it, then yes, you could dose. I would treat it and then see if there is any change in him and the patch tomorrow.
I'll try the salt! Thank you so much.
 

SilverLake

Active Member
Member
Messages
136
KareBear2020 said:
I'll try the salt! Thank you so much.
Not a problem, tbh, I'm not sure what the patch is, whether it's irritated scales, ich, some fungus (you said it wasn't fuzzy so less likely now) or just a weird patch of color on his face. As you just got him, you'll have to wait and see what changes in his look and behavior over the next couple days.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
OP
K

KareBear2020

New Member
Member
Messages
7
SilverLake said:
Not a problem, tbh, I'm not sure what the patch is, whether it's irritated scales, ich, some fungus (you said it wasn't fuzzy so less likely now) or just a weird patch of color on his face. As you just got him, you'll have to wait and see what changes in his look and behavior over the next couple days.
Okay, I'll hold off before I try it. I just hope he's okay.
Thanks again.
 

SilverLake

Active Member
Member
Messages
136
KareBear2020 said:
Okay, I'll hold off before I try it. I just hope he's okay.
Thanks again.
I wasn't trying to dissuade you from dossing, promise. It won't hurt him, and in general will help make sure he isn't carrying anything that has yet to show itself. As I said, dose tonight, let it be overnight, and see how he's looking in the morning. If the patch has changed, then the salt is probably working, if there isn't any change, you could do about a 50% water change (to reduce salt levels) and then let him sit for the rest of the day just observing. Either way, the salt will help, and learning him will be long term, finding out if that spot is an issue, that is short term.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
K

KareBear2020

New Member
Member
Messages
7
SilverLake said:
I wasn't trying to dissuade you from dossing, promise. It won't hurt him, and in general will help make sure he isn't carrying anything that has yet to show itself. As I said, dose tonight, let it be overnight, and see how he's looking in the morning. If the patch has changed, then the salt is probably working, if there isn't any change, you could do about a 50% water change (to reduce salt levels) and then let him sit for the rest of the day just observing. Either way, the salt will help, and learning him will be long term, finding out if that spot is an issue, that is short term.
Thanks for clarifying. I'll do it now and will monitor him in the morning.
 

SilverLake

Active Member
Member
Messages
136
KareBear2020 said:
Thanks for clarifying. I'll do it now and will monitor him in the morning.
Let us know how he's doing. You can do it with just another post in this thread.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
K

KareBear2020

New Member
Member
Messages
7
I think it’s been 2 weeks since the post. I’ve added 1 tbsp of aquarium salt to the tank everyday for the first 7 days of owing the fish. He did have cloudy eyes but that has cleared up.

Today I did about a 30% water change and the fish seems to be healthy and active but there was no change in that grey looking thing under his mouth. I checked the water parameters before changing it and all was the same except the ph might’ve been around a 6.8-7.

I was feeding him a mixture of food twice a day that included frozen brine shrimp, frozen mysis shrimp, frozen blood worms, aqueon betta bites and tetra tropical fish flakes. I read bettas shouldn’t be fed so often so I am cutting the feedings to once a day.

He seems to be happy and curious fish. He’s active and swims all over the tank but I got a little worried for a while because he would hang out at the bottom of the tank for a few minutes at a time (why I’m starting to feed once a day).

Just wanted to give a update and let you know I really appreciated the advice.

Cheers
 

Attachments

New Threads

Similar Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
249
Guests online
3,127
Total visitors
3,376

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom