What’s Wrong With My Neon Tetra?

BettaLover07
so I’ve been noticing this neon tetra have a weird shape and some scales kinda go up.. tried to get pictures but they are fast. It’s been acting pretty normal so I’m not sure.

Attachments

• 5FFEE8AC-0763-43B4-93DE-0C80ACC9DEBC.jpeg
    5FFEE8AC-0763-43B4-93DE-0C80ACC9DEBC.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 6FF98F5C-D518-4437-BE20-8BFC97150985.jpeg
    6FF98F5C-D518-4437-BE20-8BFC97150985.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 99
sinned4g63
Judging by the deformation and possible raised scales, it could be cysts developing. What do you feed them, or are they new to you? Does any of this sound similar to your tetra in question?

BettaLover07
Judging by the deformation and possible raised scales, it could be cysts developing. What do you feed them, or are they new to you? Does any of this sound similar to your tetra in question?
The tetra looks very bloated but still swims with the others. I feed them tropical fish flakes and sometimes brine shrimp. I’ve had them for maybe 3-4 months now.

IHaveADogToo
Is it just me or is that tetra losing color?

XYZ1234
Try feeding them some different foods like frozen bloodworms and see if there is an improvement. If not maybe ask your supplier and see if they have had similar issues

sinned4g63
The tetra looks very bloated but still swims with the others. I feed them tropical fish flakes and sometimes brine shrimp. I’ve had them for maybe 3-4 months now.
Where do you get the brine shrimp or what brand, frozen or live? "The disease cycle begins when parasitic spores enter the fish after it consumes infected material, such as the bodies of dead fish, or live food such as tubifex, which may serve as intermediate hosts." If the fish still seems lively you are not necessarily out of the woods yet as one of the symptoms is restlessness, but on the positive side it is usually at night and the tetra may stop schooling with the others. If you are unsure right now it may be a good idea to quarantine. One of the other betta keepers I know suggested HikarI for my frozen foods as they informed me San Francisco has been having issues with quality.

BettaLover07
Where do you get the brine shrimp or what brand, frozen or live? "The disease cycle begins when parasitic spores enter the fish after it consumes infected material, such as the bodies of dead fish, or live food such as tubifex, which may serve as intermediate hosts." If the fish still seems lively you are not necessarily out of the woods yet as one of the symptoms is restlessness, but on the positive side it is usually at night and the tetra may stop schooling with the others. If you are unsure right now it may be a good idea to quarantine. One of the other betta keepers I know suggested HikarI for my frozen foods as they informed me San Francisco has been having issues with quality.
The brine shrimp is frozen and I defrost it in tank water it is omega one.

sinned4g63
The brine shrimp is frozen and I defrost it in tank water it is omega one.
I would try a change of diet like Patrick Morris suggested. If the tetra in question already seems to have the disease there is no cure, the best you can do is isolate it from the other fish and change the food to prevent another possible infection. At this point you will simply have to keep an eye on him for other symptoms, again consider quarantine.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Shrimp42
Replies
Views
Megaanemp
Replies
Views
Heavy Metal Lion
Replies