Whats Wrong With My Mystery Snail?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Anika, Apr 24, 2019.

1. AnikaValued MemberMember

I got this little guy a couple months ago and lately he hasnt been doing too well. At fist I had him in a 2.5 gallon with a betta and I noticed he would stay in the same spot for a few days half out his shell not doing anything. I gave him an air bath which perked him up but the next day was the same. He had his operculum closed super tight the next day so I gave him another air bath. After the second air bath I put him in my 5 gallon black water tank with my other betta. He snailed around the first day then layed upside down and stayed there for a whole day half out his shell moving his antennae so I flipped him over and gave him an air bath. Again, perked up for a bit then back to upside down. I have to give him an air bath if I want him to eat too. Other than his behavior he seems normal. No dark spots on the foot that I've noticed and he smells normal. Also both tanks are cycled and read perfectly with my API test kit. 20190424_163356.jpg

2. BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

What is the PH of both tanks? I wouldn’t have him in the black water tank as the PH is probably lower than he can tolerate (tannins lower PH so I would assume it’s too low). And do you know your other parameters (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate)?

3. AnikaValued MemberMember

I tested for ammonia nitrite and nitrate yestersay and it was all at 0. Just did a ph test 20190426_120147.jpg

4. BReefer97Well Known MemberMember

Wow, it’s higher than I thought it would be. It’s between 7.2 - 7.6 which is should be well enough for him. My Ph is actually lower than yours and my snail is doing fine.

So you’ve only had him for about 2 months, right? He looks to be at a pretty decent size so he may just be old and it may just be his time. I was told when you get mystery snails you should get at least 2-3 because they often die within weeks of being added to the tank. They only have a year to two year life span generally. If you’re going to purchase another one I would get one that’s at a relatively small size. But the one you have now may just be farting around, snails are weird. I would just leave him be and don’t mess with him too much. Mine will sit in the same spot for a few days at a time and then he’s zooming all over the tank the next.

5. upinakValued MemberMember

Throw an algae tab in, and see how he likes it. Whats the temp of the aquarium? Have you changed water recently? The harder the water, the more the snails like it.

I have quite a few snails, and while some are like little runners all over the place, a few just like to be lazy. Try turning up the flow on your filters and see if that helps. Snails like a fast flow too, if you can believe it. What about spinach or some other veggie that they might like?