What’s wrong with my Java fern?

OldNautical

I’ve had a Java fern since about March. This is the first plant I’ve really ever had in my tank aside from moss balls, which I don’t think really count as plants. The Java fern I bought was being grown in the water, so I don’t think my issues were a problem with melting. I read that Java ferns were a pretty easy plant to keep and didn’t need fancy lights or fertilizers or co2 or anything, so I figured it would be a good start for my five gallon. Not long after I got the plant it started making a ton of babies and the original plant slowly died away. Not sure what was wrong, I tied the baby plants together to make a little bush and got some Seachem Flourish for a fertilizer. I’ve been dosing this for a couple months, although I admit I’ve been inconsistent in my dosing (I’m not quite sure how much to be dosing and how often, and adding the stuff has made a decent amount of algae start growing that didn’t use to be a problem). I’ve also been inconsistent with the lighting on the tank, as I don’t have it on a timer so sometime the light gets turned on later in the morning and I stay up late pretty often doing homework so there are low lights in my room that might be messing with the plants, although I don’t know how much that would really affect them. I had recently been treating the tank with metroplex, but I doubt that’s killing off the fern as it was dying before and it’s still dying now.

Even though the little plants don’t look terrible, they have leaves that keep on dying. I don’t know if it’s a deficiency or what, but I would like to be able to save it before the entire plant dies again. The tank is at 78 degrees and doesn’t have any issues with ammonia or nitrites, nitrates usually under 20, ph is neutral.

AggressiveAquatics

SnookusFish

lindacambrose

OldNautical said:
I’ve had a Java fern since about March. This is the first plant I’ve really ever had in my tank aside from moss balls, which I don’t think really count as plants. The Java fern I bought was being grown in the water, so I don’t think my issues were a problem with melting. I read that Java ferns were a pretty easy plant to keep and didn’t need fancy lights or fertilizers or co2 or anything, so I figured it would be a good start for my five gallon. Not long after I got the plant it started making a ton of babies and the original plant slowly died away. Not sure what was wrong, I tied the baby plants together to make a little bush and got some Seachem Flourish for a fertilizer. I’ve been dosing this for a couple months, although I admit I’ve been inconsistent in my dosing (I’m not quite sure how much to be dosing and how often, and adding the stuff has made a decent amount of algae start growing that didn’t use to be a problem). I’ve also been inconsistent with the lighting on the tank, as I don’t have it on a timer so sometime the light gets turned on later in the morning and I stay up late pretty often doing homework so there are low lights in my room that might be messing with the plants, although I don’t know how much that would really affect them. I had recently been treating the tank with metroplex, but I doubt that’s killing off the fern as it was dying before and it’s still dying now.

Even though the little plants don’t look terrible, they have leaves that keep on dying. I don’t know if it’s a deficiency or what, but I would like to be able to save it before the entire plant dies again. The tank is at 78 degrees and doesn’t have any issues with ammonia or nitrites, nitrates usually under 20, ph is neutral.
A Java Fern will die after it has its babies and I was told ferilizer was not required for Java Fern it just needs low light and to let the rhizomes feed from the water column don't bury them. If you tie them together tie loosely to not strangle them so they can grow.i think you supposed to take them out if your medicating a tank.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom