Whats wrong with my hillstream loach

idkausernamesoyeah

what is wrong with him? he looks off. his mouth looks like its popping up a bit

GlennO

Hard to tell from the pic. Is he acting normal? Very cool fish but I've always avoided them since they seem to be pretty unique in their requirements, i.e. swift flowing cool highly oxygenated water. I suspect that if I can't provide that in the aquarium (not saying you don't) they're not likely to have long lives.

idkausernamesoyeah

ur totally right they like high flow and cool water. if i had the money and space i would give them a special setup. but sadly i cant. when i went to the fish store i assumed they knew everything as they r a very reputable place and when they suggested them i was like sure!!! but like in the photos u can clearly see his mouth!!! its not normal and idk what to do

GlennO

There does seem to be some redness around his mouth and lower lip looks swollen. Possibly bacterial?

idkausernamesoyeah

GlennO said:
There does seem to be some redness around his mouth and lower lip looks swollen. Possibly bacterial?
i have no idea ive never had a problem with bacterial infections

GlennO

I assume your water parameters are ok? Given their natural environment it's likely that they have a very low tolerance to nitrates.

You could try a large water change and extra aeration. Keep the water as cool as possible. Perhaps add some Melafix. If it doesn't get better and you suspect that it is indeed bacterial you'll have to decide whether to try and treat with antibiotics.

idkausernamesoyeah

GlennO said:
I assume your water parameters are ok? You could try a large water change and extra aeration. Keep the water as cool as possible. Perhaps add some Melafix. If it doesn't get better and you suspect that it is indeed bacterial you'll have to decide whether to try and treat with antibiotics.
i mean i do water changes every week i havent tested in a little while but i have very sensitive shrimp in there who r thriving and a fully cycled tank so i dont believe the water parameters r an issue. idk how i can help the fish! my water change is this this afternoon so ill do that then and ill do a little bit bigger than usual

idkausernamesoyeah

Top Bottom