What's wrong with my fish? :(

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by AspiringAquarist, Apr 18, 2010.

1. AspiringAquaristValued MemberMember

About a week ago, my tank finally finished cycling with fish after about six weeks. The readings were 0, 0, 10 (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate).
    Last night when I did my regular feeding I noticed that one fish had a few black streaks on it's fin. A few others also had these black streaks on their fins, about 1-3 mm long. I immediately did a water test and it came out to 0, 0, 40 (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate).

I know black streaks are a sign of ammonia poisoning, but the funny thing is I have 0 ppm of ammonia and nitrite. My ammonia lot bottle #'s are 83A0409 and 84A0509, so I think that they haven't expired yet. I know my nitrates are a little high, but honestly I don't think that is creating the black streaks. Besides the black streaks, everything else seems to be fine and normal. I'll be doing a 30% water change in a couple hours.

Help! What should I do? Should I add a little zeolite in the filter bags?

2. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

If they were in the tank while it was cycling, they were already exposed to ammonia, even if there isn't any in the tank now.

3. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

Agreed, they may just be showing effects from cycling.

4. AspiringAquaristValued MemberMember

So should I worry about the streaks?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice