What's Wrong With My Fish

1. C

Cbcraw Initiate Member

Hi everyone, I am new here. I have been keeping fish for more than 20 years. I have some sick fish and I am hoping someone can help me.

About my set up:
    I have a 55 gallon fresh water aquarium. It is a fish only no plants or invertebrates tank.
    Temp: 74-75
    PH: 7.6-7.8
    Ammonia: 0
    Fish: 1 clown loach (approx 18 years old), 1 large and 2 medium/large angel fish, 2 giant danios, 2 black skirt tetras, and 1 striped Raphael catfish.
    Filtration: 1 under gravel filter with 2 marineland penguin powerheads, 1 350 marineland magnum canister filter w/ biowheels, 1 tetra whisper triad power filter, and an led light bar.
    Routine and feeding:
    I feed the fish once a day at bedtime. I do a rotation of Omega One flake, a green veg flake, blood worms, shrimp pellets, and some small floating pellets the name of which is escaping me right now. I change the light to a night setting at night. I have python clean and fill and I do water changes although I am aware that I get busy and don't do them quite as often as I should.

So if you read above about my setup I have three angels. Two of them are new and have only been with us about 2 weeks. They looked super healthy and sadly I didn't quarantine them. I rarely add fish and I rarely have sickness so I wasn't thinking of the risk I was taking. Both of the new angels still look great but some of my other fish are having issues.

While I have many years of fish keeping experience, I do not have a lot of experience diagnosing and treating sick fish. I find it confusing and intimidating. I have not had good success with curing the few sick fish I have had. So I need your help please.

Here is my description of my issues. My largest angel (older one not one of the brand new ones) has a white bump/spot on one of his pectoral fins. The pectoral fins in general look a tiny bit cloudy and ragged on the edges (this is slight). I think the base of the fin where it attaches to the body is a little red (not positive). The fish is eating fine and acting normal.
    One of my black skirts has a foggy or clowdy eye but otherwise seems fine. My other skirt obviously has something wrong with his tail. It looks like someone dipped the send of his tail in white paint. He is a little less active and is hiding more and some of the fish are chasing him which is brand new.

What I have done so far:
    I keep a little bit of salt in my tank, just a little. So far I have increased the salt in small qualities over last night and today. Yesterday I did about 50% water change (more than normal hoping to help). Other than that I have been doing a lot of reading and feeling confused. I am really hoping someone here can help.
    I took some photos and I am hoping it will let me post them here. I also have video if anyone thinks it will be helpful. Photos 1-4 show the fin with the white bump. Photos 5&6 show the skirts one with eye issue and one with tail issue.

Thank you for reading!
    Becky

Attached Files:

2. a

ambizro Initiate Member

Sounds like your not changing enough water and not often enough.

What size is the aquarium?

Try doing daily water changes at like 50-70% for a few weeks and see if things don't clear up.

3. OP
    OP
    C

Cbcraw Initiate Member

It is a 55 gallon. Yes, I agree I think I need to do more changes. I didn't know doing that many changes so close together would be safe? So no medication then? I am concerned that the new fish brought in some sickness. They don't look sick but could they have still have been carriers of something?