What's wrong with my fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by amberl, Dec 26, 2012.

1. a

amberl Valued Member Member

I'm treating with melafix and maracide and they seem to be getting worse ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356530547.872943.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356530560.747681.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356530579.373735.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356530595.306861.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356530604.754104.jpg

2. AquariaUK

AquariaUK Valued Member Member

What's wrong?

3. OP
    OP
    a

I guess the picture isn't that clear. One of them has several red spots on the rear part of his body. While another has what seems to be rectangular patches and white spots.

4. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

What are your water readings?

5. OP
    OP
    a

Temp 84. pH 7.4, AMM .25, nitrite .25 nitrate 5

6. Mrs.Price

Mrs.Price Valued Member Member

How big is your tank... and are you knowledgeable about the nitrogen cycle? Your Ammonia and Nitrite levels aren't good, and I'm guess your tank isn't fully cycled yet. Your water is what is making the fish sick, I would do an immediate 50% water change.

7. beginner

beginner Valued Member Member

don't use melafix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

8. OP
    OP
    a

It is a 10g hospital tank I have a 125 that I am fishless cycling But it isn't complete we got some incorrect test reading about 2 weeks ago and bought fish only to discover the tank wasn't ready we then put the fish in 10g to water changes and treatment of any disease easer I know my water still isn't perfect but its a lot better than where we started but I have been unable to correctly diagnose and treat what ever disease the fish have

9. beginner

melafix is a tonic not a treatment and I have used it and it can do more harm than good. like destroy your biological filter.

10. OP
    OP
    a

It is a 10g hospital tank I have a 125 that I am fishless cycling But it isn't complete we got some incorrect test reading about 2 weeks ago and bought fish only to discover the tank wasn't ready we then put the fish in 10g to water changes and treatment of any disease easer I know my water still isn't perfect but its a lot better than where we started but I have been unable to correctly diagnose and treat what ever disease the fish have

11. OP
    OP
    a

So what should I treat the fish with now

12. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Red dots could indicate pathogens.

My suggestion is to reduce temperature down to 75F slowly and treat with CopperSafe for parasites and Maracyn 1 & 2 for bacterial infections. All of them can be used together safely. Been there, done that with 3 of my Silver Dollars.

13. beginner

it could be some kind of worm maybe. it looks like there's some white spots on the fins though, i'd tend to think worms would go for the body of the fish. I know only a little about ich, and its that the white is a protective cover over the parasite.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice