What's Wrong With My Dwarf Neon Gourami

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
May you get a pic from the top? It’ll make it easier to see if it’s dropsy or not.

Your gourami is bloated, but I’m not sure is the scales are sticking up or not.

If it’s isn’t dropsy, do a 3 day fast and feed a deshelled pea soaked in garlic after the 3rd day.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I looked at enlarged pics that you posted. I don't see absolute evidence of dropsy. Based on the spot near the anus, it looks like an internal parasite. I would try a treatment with either General Cure or PraziPro to see if it helps.
Does this help?
Both API General Cure and PraziPro have the same primary ingredient for parasite treatment, General Cure also contains sodium chloride...salt. I've used PraziPro with great success, but I've never tried General Cure.

Kelli Conger

Reaction score
Took pictures to the fish store I go to and they recommended treating for dropsy so I got the med for it and hopefully it works. Fingers crossed. This is the first time I've had a fish get sick. ☹

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
How long do you have it Kelli.
I seriously think (read hundreds of threads) it is a new case if Dwarf Gourami Disease.
The bloating and definitely the ulcer point that way. Dropsy is a symptom caused by organfailure and that is exact one of the things that DGD or DGIV causes

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey Kelly, take DoudleDutch's comments to heart over that of a pet shop fish bagger.
How long do you have it Kelli.
I seriously think (read hundreds of threads) it is a new case if Dwarf Gourami Disease.
The bloating and definitely the ulcer point that way. Dropsy is a symptom caused by organfailure and that is exact one of the things that DGD or DGIV causes

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Should I treat with the med they gave me for dropsy or do I just get rid of (️) the gourami?
Mmmm difficult question.
As dropsy isn't a disease but a symptom and in this stage in fact irriversable to me, I don't see the use of treatment. Besides that DGD will cause other infections.
Now you have bought it and the fish is still alive and eating you could try and watch what happens (as everyone I van be wrong) If it worsens I'd euthanise him though.

Kelli Conger

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the info DoubleDutch. We shall see what happens. I've been going to this particular fish store for 20 years and usually get accurate advice, but as you said, there's always a chance they could be wrong. I will treat it since I have the med, but will euthanize if he doesn't get better. Thank you again.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey Kelly, take DoudleDutch's comments to heart over that of a pet shop fish bagger.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I just did some research on Fishlore. There has been a severe problem with dwarf gourami disease coming out of the supplier from Singapore. It is an untreatable virus that is making it's way to many pet and aquarium shops. You may be wasting time and money on the dropsy treatment. One of the problems that will occur is that the fish gets too weak to swim to the surface for air and eventually drowns. I'm sorry to report that if your fish has this virus, it is not able to be saved and should be quarantined away from other fish until it dies.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The problem isn't the LFS but the trade in general. This beautiful fish is destroyed by us humans but a moneybringer in the trade.
A shame but the truth. There should be an importban for this fish (and neons).
Health should be the most important.
Thank you very much for the info DoubleDutch. We shall see what happens. I've been going to this particular fish store for 20 years and usually get accurate advice, but as you said, there's always a chance they could be wrong. I will treat it since I have the med, but will euthanize if he doesn't get better. Thank you again.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think it is this specific virus, but it is nit contagious to other fish than (dwarf) gouramis. It even isn't known if they can catch it here or in Asia.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I just did some research on Fishlore. There has been a severe problem with dwarf gourami disease coming out of the supplier from Singapore. It is an untreatable virus that is making it's way to many pet and aquarium shops. You may be wasting time and money on the dropsy treatment. One of the problems that will occur is that the fish gets too weak to swim to the surface for air and eventually drowns. I'm sorry to report that if your fish has this virus, it is not able to be saved and should be quarantined away from other fish until it dies.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom