What's wrong with my dwarf hairgrass?

1. Mmbrown

Mmbrown Well Known Member Member

Hello again :)

I have some dwarf hairgrass growing in one of my tanks, but it seems to be having a problem:

IMG_5639.jpg

Basically, part of the hairgrass is still bright and green, while parts of it are turning brown (though not mushy). This is happening to all of the clumps in the tank, and I suspect it was caused in part by me not being delicate enough when I separated the bunches (i.e., root damage). What else could be the problem? Additionally, should I remove all of the brown strands, even though they are not rotting?

I just added Seachem root tabs a few days ago, thinking they are struggling to get nutrients. Is there something else I should do? (It's too soon to determine if this is helping or not, so I'm asking you lovely people :) )

The tank:
    Coralife Dual T5 HO light fixture with two 6,7000K Coralife Bulbs
    Inert sand substrate + Seachem root tabs
    Flourish Excel Daily
    Flourish Comprehensive Bi-weekly
    API Leaf Zone weekly
    (No CO2 system)

It should be noted that some of the other plants are experiencing similar effects (leaves turning brown, in some cases rotting off).

Thanks so much in advance!!
    -Morgan

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Dwarf hairgrass needs co2 to do well. Without co2 it won't have that bright green and won't spread.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. p

platy1st New Member Member

4. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I agree. Since dwarf hairgrass is know as a "high light" plant they require more stuff to flourish. Co2, good substrate, high lighting, and fertilizers.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    Mmbrown

Thank you both :)

Do you have any recommendations for products to dose macro ferts

I know that nothing truly compares to a legitimate CO2 system, but do you recommend any of the other products (i.e., liquids) that are "good enough"? Alternatively, is there a relatively cheap system I could buy? (It should be noted I'm a terrible do-it-yourself-er, despite the best of intentions.)

6. p

platy1st New Member Member

Seachem sells liquid macro ferts in three seperate bottles (N, P, K) but they are expensive versus buying dry ferts. You can find dry ferts online, I've gotten mine from Bob's Tropical Plants. For dosing, there are two common methods, the Estimative Index (EI) and the Perpetual Preservation System (PPS). I use th EI method, but I've modified it to dose a little less since and it's working on my tank.

As far as CO2, mine is DYI, so I can't help on suggesting on cheap systems. You may be able to get the by with just Excel, but it probably will require consistent daily dosing, and could get expensive.

7. g

guthrieb08 Valued Member Member

I did my co2 system similar to this just used 4 2 liter bottles with yeast, sugar, water, and some baking soda...all running into a 1 liter bottle and up into the tank. works good. alot cheaper then exel on a daily bases. i change my mixtures every saturday when i do my water change. sometime sit runs for 2 weeks depending on the temp of the room its in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHy4CtmnzeA

8. OP
    OP
    Mmbrown

Awesome, thanks all.

Any opinions on whether to leave the brown pieces or remove them?