What's Wrong With My Cherry Shrimp??? Help

1. sassymomma Well Known Member Member

I found her this morning, sort of laying on her side, looking dead. She kicks her back legs occasionally. I think she might be the one that was berried when we bought them- the other female is not acting like she's got eggs b1883a9fdbfb74916693602e4d6e3dfc.jpg a5c3c83ea3b37aae0c60cae10d5c91c7.jpg

They're in a split 5 gallon with a Betta on the other side and two dividers between them, so I can rule out attack that way. I change 25% water every 2-3 days....last one 2 day ago.(I didn't vac their side for fear of causing the berried female to drop her eggs, since she'd already gone through a move and was down to only a couple of eggs being held)Their side has the sponge filter. Parameters will take a while to edit in, I am down to one tube because I'm clumsy...temp:78 3c53659688888f77577ef96183fc700a.jpg

Oh.... and I bought the three cherries about 4days ago

Ammonia is 0
    Nitrite is 0
    Huh....nitrate are high for me 20ppm. I usually run closer to 10

2. AquaDud Member Member

What's your pH? Cherries like more acidic water.

3. sassymomma Well Known Member Member

Ph is 7.5

4. sfsamm Well Known Member Member

I keep a successful breeding RCS colony at a pH 8.2

5. sassymomma Well Known Member Member

My son did some research and theorizes that she died giving birth

He bought 10 more yesterday and got another who may be fertilized, though I don't see eggs yet.

I drop acclimated over 3hours, but forgot to plug the heater back in, so this morning was 72 in the tank:/

It will get back to 78 over the day

6. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

You're think about crystal shrimp, cherries prefer slightly harder, alkaline water ;)

I don't see how a shrimp could die giving birth, considering eggs are laid and hatched externally. What's your tap ph and your tank ph?

7. sassymomma Well Known Member Member

Tank and tap ph are both a stable 7.5

8. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

Hmm it could just be one of those things you know?

9. sassymomma Well Known Member Member

Could be

They are new too, could just be the stress

10. Miaw Member Member

Can't see but did it have a clear or white line around its midsection? If so she is/was having moulting issues. They'll kick their legs trying too.

PS she wasn't berried based on the under picture, unless she dropped all of her eggs.

11. sassymomma Well Known Member Member

She only had two eggs left- the rest were dropped due to stress from the move when we bought her, and then getting her settled

My son is sure he's spotted the shrimplets, but they're so small that I can't see them, and translucent so I will have to take him at his word

I didn't notice the line around the midsection, but it would make a bit of sense given that she seemed otherwise healthy until yesterday morning

She died in the evening