What's wrong with my blue gourami?

Alex456

Hello everyone. I hope you're all good and healthy. Today I woke up to find my blue gourami laying down on the gravel on her side. I put her in a quarantine tank and after a few minutes she started swimming. She has kind of lost her color and ate very little. Should I be concerned? I've had her for about a hear and a half. Tank is 54 liters with a temp of 24 celcius and occupants are her a few neons and a rainbow shark

TWiG87

Have you tested the water lately? The gourami and rainbow shark are too big of fish for a tank that size. Usually there is an underlying cause (water condition/ ammonia) for such behavior.

baph0meat

i would consider upgrading to a larger tank when you have a chance in the future — the minimum tank size for adult blue gourami is ~140 liters and the minimum for rainbow sharks is ~190, so you will definitely run into issues for both of them over time.

in the meantime, can you fill out the emergency template? it’ll help more experienced posters try to pinpoint what might be going on. i would also definitely do an immediate test of your current water parameters, unless you did already and nothing was obviously wrong. (EDIT: to clarify i mean more experienced posters than ME! bc i don’t know enough to help directly :’))

Alex456

TWiG87 said:
Have you tested the water lately? The gourami and rainbow shark are too big of fish for a tank that size. Usually there is an underlying cause (water condition/ ammonia) for such behavior.
Thank you for replying. The tests show nothing out of the ordinary. As far as tank size is concerned i am thinking of either giving a few fish or upgrading to a bigger one but i haven't had the chance

baph0meat said:
i would consider upgrading to a larger tank when you have a chance in the future — the minimum tank size for adult blue gourami is ~140 liters and the minimum for rainbow sharks is ~190, so you will definitely run into issues for both of them over time.

in the meantime, can you fill out the emergency template? it’ll help more experienced posters try to pinpoint what might be going on. i would also definitely do an immediate test of your current water parameters, unless you did already and nothing was obviously wrong.
Will do. Thank you

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom