What's wrong with my Blood Parrot - Please Help

1. Blubglub Initiate Member

Hello everyone,

My blood parrot ("Orange Guy") seems to be getting sick and I am hoping you can help me find out what's wrong.

Three weeks ago he started showing white spots on his scales. I thought they might be due to bad water and stress as he had been recently moved to a new tank (4 weeks ago) and the cycle may not have been fully complete. I had hoped it would clear up with time, but it seems to only have worsened and now he is developing black streaks on his fins.

He has also begun behaving erratically, scratching himself on the sand, shaking his fins, and floating near the top. I had thought he may be constipated as we had tried some new food recently, but have been fasting him and giving him peas for the last few days.
    Here are some pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Black Streaking showing up on his fins a bit (hard to get him to stay still for photos)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hanging out at the top
    [​IMG]

Tank info - 125G, Fluval FX6, 2x250W Eheim Jager Heaters, Fluval Q1 air pump
    Stock - 1 Blood Parrot, 2 Green Severum, 1 Electric Blue Acara, 1 Opaline Gourami, 6 Redline Torpedo / Dension's Barb, 1 Red Tailed Blue Botia, 1 Plecostomus

I've been doing regular water changes (at least 1/week) and when I tested my water and the parameters seem OK.
    • Ammonia - 0.25 ppm (was previously .5 ppm, but double dosed with Prime and removed waste to bring it down)
    • Nitrite - 0
    • Nitrate - <20ppm
    • pH - 7.6 (the water where I live is very high pH)
    • Temperature - 84.4F (we thought the spots may be ich so we raised the temperature; normally it sits around 80)

I've had this fish for 11 years and haven't had problems to date. He is a big part of my wife and I's family and we would be crushed if we lose him. I am hoping someone here can help me figure out what is wrong.

I appreciate any help or insight you could give me
    ~Blubglub

2. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Scratching and white spots sounds like ICH to me. However I am no expert when it comes to diagnosing ailments. Aquarist is our resident parrot expert and bizaliz3 has some parrot experience as well. As far as diagnosing the people that have helped me in the past are CindiL slayer5590 and TexasDomer

3. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, welcome to fishlore :;hi2

I will let the parrot experts help you but that doesn't look like ich to me. I don't know if its the pictures but ich when I've had it on a new fish looked like large white salt grains had been sprinkled on the fish.

I can tell you that black streaks on fins are usually a sign of healing after ammonia poisoning. Make sure to dose prime daily for the full volume of the water as long as you have ammonia readings. It will keep him safe as it will detoxify the ammonia to ammonium.

How long have you had ammonia readings for in the tank? I'd suggest picking up some Seachem Stability to aid in re-establishing the nitrosonomas bacteria in your tank.

I would be giving him fresh water daily to help him heal.

4. Blubglub Initiate Member

I've had ammonia readings around 0.25 ppm for awhile but it had worsened over the last week. I think the cause was uneaten food and waste that had lodged under some decorations. I have since cleaned the tank thoroughly and dosed with prime and stability as CindiL suggested.

It seems to be working as my ammonia is testing at 0 and his behavior has returned to normal. The black streaks seem to be lessening a bit as well.

Still no idea about the spots, and they haven't changed, but it may just take time. I plan to treat for ich next week as another fish (E.B. Acara) is showing signs of it. If things change i will keep you posted

Here he is smiling for the camera:
    [​IMG]

Our family greatly appreciates the advice,
    ~Blubglub

5. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Great to hear!