What’s wrong with my Betta?

Lunadora

Hi, need help, I got a Platinum Dumbo Halfmoon Betta yesterday, he was white when I brought him home, today I noticed he is hiding at the bottom and he’s turning red and blue. His head is turning red and his body blue but his fins are still whitish. Is this normal? Sorry I couldn’t get better pictures ☹️ He’s is a 4 gallon tank with just a snail

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 22

Barrk2

Super common! Bettas are usually really stressed in those store cups. They color up when they get in tanks and feel better. It makes buying them a bit of a gamble but it means he’s doing better in your tank than a cup.
He should get more active as he adjusts to your tank- especially if you have proper heating/filtration.

Lunadora

Well part of me is happy that he’s happy and comfortable but part of me is upset since I thought I was buying a white fish and he’s not actually white. I was super concerned something was wrong

Barrk2

Well part of me is happy that he’s happy and comfortable but part of me is upset since I thought I was buying a white fish and he’s not actually white. I was super concerned something was wrong
I feel you! I spent like $25 on a beautiful marbled blue and white koi betta only to have him go 100% blue in about 2 months- though that’s more about the marbling gene than good care. It’s so annoying but at least we know we’re taking good care of them? Depending on where you got him you might be able to return/wrangle a refund. No guarantees though.
I feel you! I spent like $25 on a beautiful marbled blue and white koi betta only to have him go 100% blue in about 2 months- though that’s more about the marbling gene than good care. It’s so annoying but at least we know we’re taking good care of them? Depending on where you got him you might be able to return/wrangle a refund. No guarantees though.
Though honestly with as quick as yours turned I wonder if you have a marble gene too. In that case he may turn white again at some point? Mine never did, but apparantly it happens. Marbling/jumping genes in bettas are cool and weird.

Attachments

• D44D67D3-DE62-494F-BBFE-CD0F9F12133B.jpeg
    D44D67D3-DE62-494F-BBFE-CD0F9F12133B.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 572B318A-80FE-4E2B-912B-63E57729E6A4.jpeg
    572B318A-80FE-4E2B-912B-63E57729E6A4.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 11

Lunadora

That’s a cool looking fish! But yea he was $20 from Petsmart. I was shocked he changed so quickly! I knew they could change color as they age but not overnight like that. My last betta just passed recently and he was so awesome, he was dark blue and black and he got reddish hues and some white to his beautiful tail as he got older. But he was pretty stable in his color. Miss that little guy, he would come to the top and jump for food. I’m hoping the new one has some personality to him and hopefully he doesn’t turn much more.

Barrk2

That’s a cool looking fish! But yea he was $20 from Petsmart. I was shocked he changed so quickly! I knew they could change color as they age but not overnight like that. My last betta just passed recently and he was so awesome, he was dark blue and black and he got reddish hues and some white to his beautiful tail as he got older. But he was pretty stable in his color. Miss that little guy, he would come to the top and jump for food. I’m hoping the new one has some personality to him and hopefully he doesn’t turn much more.
Fingers crossed for you! I lost my blue dude to a nasty tumor and now have a sassy little red female who is fiesty as the day is long. They all have such personalities!

RishonRJ

I'm so sorry for your loss. probably try a 5 gallon instead. and do a water test before you add the betta. and oh boy, that betta is too cute!

Rose of Sharon

That's a very beautiful betta!!! I guess you never know what you are going to get when you buy a platinum!

Hope he has a long and healthy life, and that he brings you great joy! :)

StarGirl

I'm so sorry for your loss. probably try a 5 gallon instead. and do a water test before you add the betta. and oh boy, that betta is too cute!
Hes a large finned betta he will be totally fine in her 4g tank.

Beautiful betta! Both are actually. I will have to check out the website and see the web cam.
now have a sassy little red female who is fiesty as the day is long.

I had a Red Veiltail that was super feisty also. She had her own tank with a nerite snail. She got a tumor too. Now I have a male veiltail who is red and royal blue. Battling tail biting with him...It is always an adventure with a betta... :)

FishandCatlover

What a beautiful baby! When i first got my betta, he was also hiding a lot for the first days, but now, 3 weeks later, he's a completely different fish!( his color and personality!) May he live a long and happy life with you, and bring you much joy! I hope he adjusts soon!!

Random Great Thread!

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom