What's wrong with my betta?

• Thread starter FishBoi670
  • Start date

FishBoi670

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 10 gallons
How long has the tank been running? About 3 months
Does it have a filter? 1 sponge and 1 HOB (reduced output flow)
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 79-80 F°
What is the entire stocking of this tank? 1 betta and 1 mystery snail

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Weekly
How much of the water do you change? About 30%
What do you use to treat your water? API Tap Water Conditioner and Stress Coat+
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Vacuum substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API Freshwater Master Test Kit
What are your parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10 PPM
pH: ~7.6

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Daily except on weekends
How much do you feed your fish? Alternate between 1 pellet or a couple flakes
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega One
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? About 2 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? A week
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Spot on head, possible pine coning
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Spends more time on the bottom of the tank

Explain your emergency situation in detail:
I noticed he would spit out pellets a week or two ago and eventually stopped noticing them altogether so I fed him flakes instead. Then earlier this week I noticed the white spot on his head and possible pine coning. He still ignores pellets and will maybe eat one flake before ignoring the rest that I try to feed him. Is this dropsy? And if so, is there I can do to help him? I've read a ton on how to diagnose and how to go about treatment, but I'm still very unsure about everything and would appreciate any second opinions on what this is and what I should do. I also don't know how this might've happened or how to prevent it from happening in the future if he does recover :(

Attachments

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Is he a crowntail? If not it looks like fin rot. The spot on the top of his looks like a couple of missing scales.
The pineconing would be most visible from the top but I dont see it in the top down picture.
The spitting out food? May be a sign of sickness or he's just sick of that brand. Bettas can get bored of their food, try feeding frozen blood worms or daphnia and see if it picks his appetite back up.
Does his poop look normal or is it white/stringy?

FishBoi670

He is a crowntail. I admit that I haven't been giving him the most attention since I started school again, and now that you mention it I do think he does have some fin rot (first picture attached below where he's flaring at himself is when I first got him). I also got a better top down picture under a white light a couple minutes ago. I'll try buying him frozen food! I also just bought catappa leaves for him. Would it help to add one at this point? What should I do to help with the fin rot and missing scales? Is it necessary to move him to a hospital tank?

As for how this happened, would it be possible that the thing I have on my HOB is causing it? I put this filter cartridge I had laying around to reduce the output flow. It does get gunky and I thought it would be fine to just clean it during water changes, but now I think it's causing algae or green stuff to grow in the tank? I left it because my mystery snail looked like it was eating it and I read somewhere that it'll clear up on its own.

I also don't know think I've ever seen my betta's poop (I'm probably just too new to know what to look for), but I'm assuming no on white/stringy poop because I think I'd see it against the black substrate?

Thanks for reading all that and appreciate all the input!

Attachments

FishBoi670

FishBoi670 said:
He is a crowntail. I admit that I haven't been giving him the most attention since I started school again, and now that you mention it I do think he does have some fin rot (first picture attached below where he's flaring at himself is when I first got him). I also got a better top down picture under a white light a couple minutes ago. I'll try buying him frozen food! I also just bought catappa leaves for him. Would it help to add one at this point? What should I do to help with the fin rot and missing scales? Is it necessary to move him to a hospital tank?

As for how this happened, would it be possible that the thing I have on my HOB is causing it? I put this filter cartridge I had laying around to reduce the output flow. It does get gunky and I thought it would be fine to just clean it during water changes, but now I think it's causing algae or green stuff to grow in the tank? I left it because my mystery snail looked like it was eating it and I read somewhere that it'll clear up on its own.

I also don't know think I've ever seen my betta's poop (I'm probably just too new to know what to look for), but I'm assuming no on white/stringy poop because I think I'd see it against the black substrate?

Thanks for reading all that and appreciate all the input!
Would also like to note that this is the dirtiest that the tank/water ever gets because it's water change day and I haven't changed the water yet.

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Yeah not sure what caused the fin rot, normally it's poor water quality but I do know that crowntail are particularly susceptible to it. Add the leaves and keep the water clean and it should clear up on its own.

You can rinse the cartridge in tank water when you do your water changes to keep it clean without the destroying beneficial bacteria on it.

FishBoi670

Updates:
I removed the HOB and he seems to be exploring that side of the tank more, but he still spends most of his time at the bottom tank like the picture below. I am also certain he's pineconing :(

I put in an IAL on Sunday and also bought him a Freshwater Multi-Pack (San Francisco Bay Brand) because I thought there was no way that he wouldn't like at least one of these. The white spot on his head has grown smaller, but he still won't eat. He took a bite of a bloodworm and immediately spit it back out. He won't touch the other two I tried to feed him (even used a tweezer to bring it to him). I'm down to my last option for food tomorrow and I'm honestly at a loss for what to do.

Attachments

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Yeah he's definitely pineconing now. Sorry I didn't see it in the earlier pictures.

Top Bottom