What's Wrong with my Betta

kippielynn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
At the suggestion of another, trying to get some additional help :) Long story short(er).. My male betta was fine for a little over a week when we got him. Then bloated, and then not eating and hiding, and now not hiding but resting at top & still not eating. See previous thread for info on changing filter: My UGF is kinda gross.. need advice for sick fish | Filters and Filtration 450190

Also uncycled tank and a new filter in there- removed the UGF to give him more room about 2.5 days ago.

I dosed with Prazipro yesterday morning. We are now 1 week and 5 days with no food. Last two days he is sitting at the top mostly, not a lot of movement. Doesn't respond to any food. I have tried live daphnia, frozen shrimp, pellets in garlic, two kinds of pellets, frozen bloodworms (which he followed down last week but not this week, but didn't take either time), and even the freeze-dried worms again. He hasn't had any stringy white poops - but he doesn't appear to be eating. His color is a little better today than yesterday, was very pale grey and now seeing a darker grey on his face. But movement is scarce. He was curious when I was basting out the old food on the food, like he smelled it but didn't want or couldnt find it. I heard 2 weeks was max with no food, and then read a thread that said 5 weeks! So not sure which.

He did look smaller and curved, but in the last two days he does not or I got used to him smaller. Could he be eating off the floor anything I miss or what the hey? Any ideas? I will be doing a small water change as the tank water is not as clear as I would like but could be the meds or lack of carbon in filter for meds. At this point, I am just monitoring water and trying to feed. I don't think more meds are the answer, he may have had too many. He may be weak and that is wy resting? Or maybe he just liked the new plant he keeps sleeping on- it is new since the fitler change.. any thoughts appreciated. I am leaning towards just let him rest and keep water clean. Offer pellets and see..

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 3.5 g (I know it is small, but it was smaller until I changed the filter out)
How long has the tank been running? just a few days with the new filter
Does it have a filter? Aqueon Internal Quietflow 10 - baffled with a small sponge at output
Does it have a heater? Yes internal
What is the water temperature? 79 degrees currently
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) just him

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? 40-50% every couple days, if levels of ammonia, nitrites rise - or just weekly
How much of the water do you change? 40-50%
What do you use to treat your water? TopFin water conditioner, but switching to Prime today with water change
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? vacuum

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? no
What do you use to test the water? API test kit and API test strips- have both but the strips don't seem to match the liquid, so I have been using that more
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? trying twice a day: moring and night
How much do you feed your fish? Not eating now but 1-2 pellets or a few bloodworms
What brand of food do you feed your fish? HikarI bio-gold pellets, HikarI frozen
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? he has eaten freeze-dried before got sick as treat 2x/week but has never eaten the frozen yet

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 3.5 weeks about
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 2 weeks ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? had fin rot, really bloated and not eating. Now not bloated but still not eating. Swimming fine but resting mostly
Have you started any treatment for the illness? on Prazipro as of yesterday, it lasts 5-7 days then I am done with meds
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? didn't seem to be at the time
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? He was swimming laps extensively for the first week, maybe was just stress of new tank and his is actually a lazy fish. He was hiding as well in last week, but not anymore. After the Paraguard last week, he actually seemed to be doing better and coming over to me when at the tank. But that has stopped.

TIA!

Attachments

Rose of Sharon

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
HI Kippielynn,

As I understand the situation, you are now doing a fish-in cycle, but your betta is not doing well. My suggestion would be to do 40 to 50% water changes every other day, regardless of the water parameters. The tank should still cycle. Using Prime is a very good idea. It traps and holds ammonia and nitrites so that they are not toxic to the fish and takes care of any chlorine in the water. And if need be, you can overdose with it (read the instructions carefully) in cases of emergency.

I have had bettas with fin rot. The way I teat that is with frequent water changes and I add a piece of Indian almond leaf to their water. This leaf will release tannins which protect the betta's scales and helps the fins heal. It will turn the water light brown. I do not like to use medicine unless I absolutely have to. I have used Paraguard, and I find that it works well, but I wouldn't use it unless it was an advanced case. And then, I would not use it for a long time....just a couple of doses.

I have never had to deal with parasites, so I am not knowledgeable about that. I do know that a tell-tale sign is the stringy white poop. All I know is what I have read here on this forum and on other betta sites. Maybe someone else can chime in about that.

I do hope this helps some!

OP
kippielynn

kippielynn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rose of Sharon said:
HI Kippielynn,

As I understand the situation, you are now doing a fish-in cycle, but your betta is not doing well. My suggestion would be to do 40 to 50% water changes every other day, regardless of the water parameters. The tank should still cycle. Using Prime is a very good idea. It traps and holds ammonia and nitrites so that they are not toxic to the fish and takes care of any chlorine in the water. And if need be, you can overdose with it (read the instructions carefully) in cases of emergency.

I have had bettas with fin rot. The way I teat that is with frequent water changes and I add a piece of Indian almond leaf to their water. This leaf will release tannins which protect the betta's scales and helps the fins heal. It will turn the water light brown. I do not like to use medicine unless I absolutely have to. I have used Paraguard, and I find that it works well, but I wouldn't use it unless it was an advanced case. And then, I would not use it for a long time....just a couple of doses.

I have never had to deal with parasites, so I am not knowledgeable about that. I do know that a tell-tale sign is the stringy white poop. All I know is what I have read here on this forum and on other betta sites. Maybe someone else can chime in about that.

I do hope this helps some!
Very helpful thanks! I actually have been considering the almond leaves - since so many people recommend. His fins look better but still need to regrow obviously. Hoping someone has parasite experience :)

thanks again!

OP
kippielynn

kippielynn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So update: he looks much better up close. I almost detected some new purple color in his tail.. he even attempted to eat a pellet but it was too big for his mouth and spit it out! It sat in the tank a little longer than I let them so it got bigger than usual. So feeling good right now other than a botched attempt at food.

The bad news, at water change, he got spooked jumped a bit and then I noticed he pooped a stringy white poop:( So looks like still parasites.

I switched to prime with the water change - so hoping he likes it. Dosing makes me sweat since it is 5mL for 50 gallons! I have a 3.5 gallon tank so I am estimating the .3mL to give him in my dropper.

Thanks!

Rose of Sharon

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
kippielynn said:
So update: he looks much better up close. I almost detected some new purple color in his tail.. he even attempted to eat a pellet but it was too big for his mouth and spit it out! It sat in the tank a little longer than I let them so it got bigger than usual. So feeling good right now other than a botched attempt at food.

The bad news, at water change, he got spooked jumped a bit and then I noticed he pooped a stringy white poop:( So looks like still parasites.

I switched to prime with the water change - so hoping he likes it. Dosing makes me sweat since it is 5mL for 50 gallons! I have a 3.5 gallon tank so I am estimating the .3mL to give him in my dropper.

Thanks!
Ok, that is some good news about his fins and wanting to eat. At least now you have some real evidence about the parasite problem, too.

I hope he gets better!

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
kippielynn said:

Thanks!
I thought about not replying :(. I don't want this thread to turn into another two sided conversation like your last one did and you're not established enough for me to PM you, but given the progress of showing interest in food, I had to say :):):).

Hopefully he's on the road to recovery!

New Threads