What's Wrong With My Betta?? Help

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by SMo, Jun 11, 2019.

1. SMoNew MemberMember

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 3 liters
    How long has the tank been running? It is a fish bowl.
    Does it have a filter? No
    Does it have a heater? No
    What is the water temperature? No
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) only 1 betta fish

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? Every 2 weeks
    How much of the water do you change? The whole bowl
    What do you use to treat your water? I don't.
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? I just change the water.

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? I dint.
    What do you use to test the water? I have never tested them.
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: never tested
    Nitrite: never tested
    Nitrate: never tested
    pH: never tested

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? Twice. 5 pellets
    How much do you feed your fish? 5 pellets twice a day
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? Optimum
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Freeze dried.

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? 2 years.
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? He stopped eating 3 days back but i noticed the torn part/lump today.
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
    My fish stopped eating properly few days back and today I find this on him. What is it?? How do I help him?? I usually keep him with a tiny money plant bcos I've noticed that he loves to hide in the leaf. But since he looks injured/sick i removed it.
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? No. Bcos I don't know what it is. I just figured he might have hurt himself after he brushed across the money plant root since he's very playful.
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?he was but then i took care of him and he healed and his fins grew.
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
    He used to be very active and ran towards me when it was feeding time. He has become dull since few days. And there seems to be a torn part/lump near his fin.

Attached Files:

2. celloNew MemberMember

I'm not sure about what your betta has (more experienced fishkeepers could probably answer this better), but I do have some advice on his general care: you shouldn't change the whole bowl during water changes, it messes up the good bacteria in the tank and sudden changes in water can shock your fish. You should also always treat your water with a water conditioner if using tap water.

And please, please cycle the betta's bowl. His living conditions may be contributing to any sicknesses that he has.

3. Magicpenny75Well Known MemberMember

Sorry he's not feeling well. I can't say specifically what is wrong with him but there are a number of factors at work here. I'm sure you've read already that they really do better in a larger tank with a heater and a filter, but I also understand that it is what it is sometimes, and no point making you feel bad now. I am sure you've done the best you knew for him. We have allll been there at one time in our lives.
    Here's what I would do, starting today...
    - don't go making a bunch of changes and adding medicine and such.
    - DO put the plant back in. IF it is soft and he can't hurt himself on it. It will make him feel safer and less stressed if he has someplace familiar to rest.
    - You DO need to change his water every week if he's in a bowl. I'm just guessing based on your manner of speaking that you are fairly young and maybe don't have the resources to buy an aquarium, but that would be best if you can do it. Read up on the nitrogen cycle please. You can change all the water in the bowl, just don't scrub it out. Just rinse out the poops and fill it back up. You can't really "cycle" a bowl beyond that, but you don't want to wash the bacterial film away from the inside.
    - They do much better with heat. You've had him two years and I'm guessing in that bowl. I am sorry to say but two years in a bowl is a pretty good run for a betta. If he has seemed healthy up until now, he may just be nearing the end of his time. Even with "perfect" care, some bettas just live shorter lives.
    - Lastly, Don't beat yourself up. They have such great personalities it's so hard to see them slow down.

4. SMoNew MemberMember

Thank you. I shall keep that in mind.

5. SMoNew MemberMember

Thank you so much. :happy:I shall try to follow what all you mentioned and try to make arrangements for an aquarium. I've put back the plant. And I shall look after him.

6. RepolieWell Known MemberMember

@SMo

There are several things I see wrong with your betta's environment and I'm going to address them in order as I read through the template. Bettas need a (consensus) minimum of 2.5 gallons as the tank size which provides them the swimming space they need and room for other necessary equipment. It also has a larger water volume which mean it dilutes the waste produced making it less toxic. The bigger the better.

You don't have a heater and it's important for maintaining the ideal tank temperature. Bettas are tropical fish from warm climates that requires a temperature range of 78-82°F. Lower temperatures can cause other negative health effects that can also cause him to get more sick easily.

I see in your profile that you don't know about the nitrogen cycle and suggest that you research more about it. Basically all tank inhabitants produce ammonia as waste which is toxic, but you have beneficial bacteria which lives in the filter to convert it into nitrites then nitrates which are less toxic and can be removed with a simple water change. This is why every fish needs a filter.

Water changes are required for maintaining a healthy aquarium because of the toxic waste produced. For a tank that small, I'd suggest partial 50% daily water changes to keep the waste down. It's also ill advised to do a 100% water change as that's very stressful for fish and you'd have to re-acclimate the fish back into the tank so that you don't put them into shock with a temperature or pH difference. So small and frequent water changes should be done instead. You also need a water conditioner to treat your water because it dechlorinates the water to make it safe for your betta.

Testing the water is important as you need to make sure the water parameters are within safe levels. I and many others will suggest the API freshwater master test kit for the most accuracy when testing the water.

I originally thought it was a tumor in the picture, but one cannot grow that fast. I now speculate that it's a fluid filled cyst.

7. SMoNew MemberMember

Ok
    OK. How is that treatable?

8. RepolieWell Known MemberMember

You can't really treat a cyst. There isn't much you can do besides keeping the water clean to prevent infection.