whats wrong with my bacopa?

1. axel Well Known Member Member

i have 90 gallon tank with arowana LED HL 7 watt-15watt,theres java xmas and flame moss in my tank with couple of bacopa caroliniana, i notice there brown spot like sprinlkle of brown salt in its leaves...what seems to be the problem? heres image http://imgur.com/jJsdD2B

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Looks like algae. How long do you keep the lights on?

3. axel Well Known Member Member

6-8 hours , arowana LED HL submersible 7watt-15 watt ,i know its not enough im planning to get another lighting with 120 watt,why are there algae when theres not enough lighting for them to grow?

4. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Does the tank get any sunlight?

It might not be algae and instead the plants showing a deficiency, but it's hard to tell from the pic.

5. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

It looks like brown algae, (diatoms), which are not really "algae" in the true sense. They need silicates to live. Is the tank new? New glass often leaches silicates in the first 6 months to a year. They tend to go away on their own unless its in your water source. If thats the case, lots of plants will help compete with the diatoms for nutrients. Getting some nerite snails will help as they will eat the diatoms.

If they don't go away in time with plants or snails then I'd suggest using Seachem Phosguard in your filter. It starves the diatoms of silicates and they cannot live without it.

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

If it's diatoms, you might also see it on the substrate, decor, and walls of the tank.

7. axel Well Known Member Member

yes this tank is new(built in filter),been setup for a week,i used ADA amazonia soil ,my other non planted tank have been setup for 2 months and the fishes are fine, is this dangerous to plants and fish? also recently theres plants dying in my tank so i took it off and some of it melt in water,now theres foam in water surface, is this also the cause of diatom?also i just use liquid fertilizer recently, is this also play roles?

8. axel Well Known Member Member

no sunlight, just my 7-15 watt LED with 90 gallon tank