What's wrong with my aquarium?

jaiffable

Reactions
Experience
3 years
Hello

1) I have a 20 gallon aquarium and my fish are dying. I have a two Blood Parrot from 3 yrs and just an half hour ago one of them died. About 3 months ago I have purchased 2 Oscars & a pair of (forget fish name). and they all 4 died within a week but my parrot was fine with a sucker catfish and a white redtail bought them 7-8 months ago. Then about a week ago I bought a pair of silver shark & a pair of Kissing gouramI they all 4 also died within 4 days when I bought them one of my parrot had black spots on his body. and today I lost my 3 year old parrot fish. I don't know what's wrong with my aquarium?

2) I want to know that I have aquarium from 3 years and every 6-8 months I clean it 100%(mean complete change of the water & cleaning gravels removing filters sponge, wash aquarium glass). then I found that its wrong because it removes the bacterias of water & need to be cycle again. but after cleaning I never face any issue like my fish never died after I change my water.

3) freshwater/hardwater aquarium also need the water testing kit.

4) my blood parrot which is alive having some black spots and not eating. and I know black spots came by stress and they also had before but they never stop eating before. so what should I do?

5)apologies for my English.

Chunk101

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I think the problem with your tank is that it's severely overstocked. They're dying because of water quality issues (too much ammonia, which is toxic to fish).

A quick search on the internet told me that Blood parrots need 50gal tank min. Oscars 70 gal min.

If you don't have a water test kit, you should try to get it ASAP. But in the meantime I would recommend you do a partial water changes, safe amount would be 10-25%, probably every day and make sure you add the water conditioner, this detoxifies chlorine.

The black spot if it's over the gill plate is tissue healing from ammonia burns.

Definitely read up on the Nitrogen cycle and do research on specific fish requirements.

How many fish do you have now?

BRP

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, welcome to Fishlore!

I'm afraid I have to agree with Chunk101, you are probably losing fish because the tank is severely overstocked.

It's true that black spots on blood Parrots can be stress spots. I understood that they are rarely present when blood Parrots are adults. The only occasion when I see some black stripes on on the finns is when they are about to breed and the order they get the less I see those stripes. When they were younger I did see them on the body and face.

I've seen it however too on fancy goldfish and that was caused by ammonia burns.

Because your BP is about 3 years old I'm tended to think it's a way of telling you he feels not well (like he does with not eating).

I can't tell with info provided why your BP stopped eating, sorry.

Do you have recent pictures from him? Maybe that gives away some info. Maybe a picture from him that also shows his size compared to the tank size?

I hope we can correct this problem before you lose your last BP. Don't add new fish atm as even one BP in a 20 gallon is too much. For the long run you ideally would upgrade your tank to a 55 gallon at least (depending also on the other fish you still have, so you might need a bigger tank then that).

If you can, let us know the readings for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.
Also important, what kind of filtration system are you using? Brand and type of filter?
What is the water temperature of your tank?

BRP

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
HI ☺

Thanks for the picture. I tried to estimate the size if your BP and however I find that hard to do from a picture, I think I see your Blood Parrot is stunted.
If it's three years old I would expect it to be bigger than this? How long is the fish?
Stunting happens when the tank is too small which causes bad water parameters, unless one does massive water changes daily.
How old is that BP? I assume it's three years old but maybe it's younger?

Stunting itself can cause premature death although there can be many other reasons.

About the temperature, you can safely lower the temperature slowly to 25c, your current fish don't need 30c. Lowering the temperature slows down metabolism and thus increases life span.
Many shops that sell fish offer free testing your tank water. It's important they test with liquid tests, not with paper strips as they are inaccurate. Ask them to write down the exact numbers.
With your tank size I would advise getting your own test kit so that you can monitor water quality on a daily basis if needed.

If your water parameters appear to be off do water changes accordingly and try to find a tank that can hold your current stock, like a 55 gallon. It will be a lot easier to maintain water quality in a larger tank, plus the BP would need that size to live a healthy life.

Be careful with that "red tail", the can show quite some territorial behavior when they age.
Your "sucker mouth", do you remember it's scientific name? Some can grow over 45 cm long and are not even suitable for a 55 gallon.

Did your parrot start eating again?
Without knowing why he stopped eating make sure the water quality is perfect by doing water changes up to 25 percent daily, until you have a test kit. That never will hurt.

How is / was his poop like? Ever saw white slimy/stringy poop from this guy? That indicates inflammation of the gut and a comon reason could be intestinal worms or flagetelles. I don't know about worms but flagetelles can make them stop eating.

BRP

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
How are you fish today? Did your parrot start eating again?

New Threads