What's wrong with my anubias?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by klj7678, Jul 7, 2015.

1. k

klj7678 Valued Member Member

I've got a 2.5 gallon tank with LED lights and a single betta. I dose with flourish comp twice a week and lights are on for about 10 hours. The plants are all various anubias and banana plants. My extra large anubias is changing color and I'm not sure why
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436301126.720763.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436301155.209841.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436301168.027671.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436301178.575702.jpg

None of the plants are actually planted in the gravel (they uprooted when I came home from school). This is the tank as a whole ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436301245.535222.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Do you use Excel or some form of CO2?

3. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

It looks like light deficiency to me, I'm guessing your leds aren't giving enough light or the right color temperature.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. FullyCaffeinated

FullyCaffeinated Valued Member Member

Second on those lights. 99.9% of aquarium kit LEDs aren't meant for plants and won't halo the plants. Try upping the light to a smaller LED clip on. Finnex is always a recommended brand.

5. OP
    OP
    k

I don't use excel or anything. Does it matter that only the one plant is affected? I would think that a lighting issue would mess with all the plants and not just one. The leaves are also on different sides of the tank due to the way it's positioned and yet they all seem to have the same issue. Also, I've had the same plants and lights since December and this is the first time I'm noticing a problem.

This is the light if it helps to see it
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1436304953.652363.jpg

All the other plants are a beautiful green and have no brown spots, light spots or anything.

6. Dom90

Right it should affect all plants, and what's peculiar is that anubias are low light plants. Maybe try excel and see if it improves?

7. p

plecodragon Well Known Member Member

Maybe check the rhisome, sometimes it dies, turns mushy. If it is firm and has some leaves then it is ok. sometimes the older leaves die and new ones begin. Your anubias look great otherwise.

8. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

Anubias are heavy iron feeders, and low light plants. They don't need excel to flourish.

It can be an iron deficiency or an old leaf.

9. OP
    OP
    k

The leaf that is the most yellow was there when I bought the plant so it is the oldest one. Is there enough iron in flourish comp that I can up the dosage and everything will be fine or should I specifically get flourish iron or a similar product?

10. Dom90

In that case, what substrate is the OP using? Some substrates contain iron in their composition, such as CaribSea Eco-Complete or Seachem Fluorite.

11. OP
    OP
    k

I've got the red eco-complete. It kinda seems like a waste now since the plants have all been uprooted but its there.

12. Dom90

Yes I have the Eco-complete planted (the black stuff), all my plants seem to be doing well, except the Val's... Is there a way you could tie the anubias down to something?

13. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

I prefer API Leaf Zone over Flourish Iron. API LZ contains iron and potassium.

Considering this is a new setup and the plant isn't established in this tank, using a liquid fertilizer would allow the plant to absorb the nutrients its lacking faster then a nutrient rich substrate.

14. OP
    OP
    k

I'll add the leaf zone to my never-ending list of things to get. Thanks for all the help everyone

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice