What's wrong with my Amazon Sword?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by klogue2, Dec 29, 2012.

1. klogue2

klogue2 Valued Member Member

Ever since I got the sword (or at least a few days after I got it) the big, tall leaves have been turning see-through brown. However the smaller leaves at the bottom have been fine.

I'm thinking the old leaves are adjusting to being underwater? I read that amazon sword is normally a terrestrial plant, and when submerged it sheds it's old leaves and begins to grow new ones.

Or am I just not providing enough light and nutrients? I use flourish root tabs, and have a coralife T5 30" fixture, with two 18w T5 bulbs, one is 6500k and the other is a colormax. I was told this may not be enough lighting for the amazon sword though.

Should I trim away the dead leaves and see if newer, better looking ones grow? If so, do I cut from the very base of the plant, or just under the leaf?

Edit: Oh and it looked fine at the lfs, I don't know how long they had had the plant but when I bought it, it was submerged.

2. g

guppylover321 New Member Member

You could try to cut the brown leaves off.

3. cichlidman

cichlidman Well Known Member Member

I would trim them away as they do not regenerate. Cut them as close to the bottom as possible.

4. OP
    OP
    klogue2

Thanks! I thought maybe that would be a good first step, hopefully it turns out they're just regrowing.

5. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

Mine did that when I first got them. I also upgraded the lights. Still not as flush as I'd like. Have you tried co2?

6. OP
    OP
    klogue2

I did a little bit of CO2 the first day, then was told with my low-moderate light set up it would be a waste. So I haven't dosed it since.

7. Mer-max

Oh this is the 29gal? I put mine in my 55. The leaves browned and fish ate a little on it, they still do some. I use root tabs, flourish, flourish nitrogen. It perked up good. I'm in high lighting now, and just started fooling with co2 but just with the better lights alone all my plants perked up. I paid $60 for a 48" t5ho whereas before I had a $88 t5no and it just didn't cut the pie.

8. OP
    OP
    klogue2

Ah I see, when my 55 is set up I had planned to use 5x 26w 6500k CFL bulbs over it, just not really sure what light category that would fall under... Probably moderate or high. So I may just move the amazon over there (given the mbunas which I am hoping to stock with don't tear them up), and do CO2 for it.

9. Mer-max

They will. I originally had mine in the 55 with the sword ( which is actually planted in a mason jar) and they would grab and tug at the leaves. Now they are in a 75 with fake plants lol. I think I read that java fern tastes nasty and it does well with them. Mine never bothered with it but it got moved around by them a lot, just no actual bite marks like I had with the sword

10. OP
    OP
    klogue2

Oh ok, I suppose I'll just go the fake plant route lol :) and maybe some of my java fern and another hard leafed plant, I think I read Anubias has hard leaves that they don't like. Thanks again!

11. Mer-max

Your welcome. Hope your sword perks up

12. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

That sword is showing some fertalizer deficiencies, thats the reason it is turning brown. So unless this is a new plant you have omse other issues.

Definately cut off the dying leaf as it will allow the plant to send more nutrients to the other healtheir leaves and into the reproduction areas. If you dont have root tabs in the tank I would highly recomend them for swords as they are heavy root feeders. Seachem root tabs are my personal fav and my swords seem to do well with them.

Also if you have the crown of the root burried pull it up just a touch so that it shows above the substrate.

13. OP
    OP
    klogue2

Thanks! I have flourish root tabs about 1-1/2" away from the roots (was told not to put directly under the roots). I also have the roots buried kind of far down so I will pull them up a bit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice