What's wrong with her?

ShadowKittyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This is my friends betta. She lays on the bottom, swimming up spastically and weakly to the top before just falling to the bottom. It seems like she might have pineconed scales, but I can't tell if it's just me 1481373930498.jpg

Aqua Hero

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just from the picture I'm 99% sure he has dropsy. They say when you see the signs of it like the raised scales and bloated belly it's too late.

They say give an Infected fish a epson salt bath every day for a few seconds can help. I tried this with all my past fish that had this issue but unfortunately it did work

Aqua Hero

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The best way to cure this IMO is to prevent it from happening in the first place. This tends to occur when a tank is very dirty and hasn't been maintained properly

ShadowKittyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Aqua Hero said:
The best way to cure this IMO is to prevent it from happening in the first place. This tends to occur when a tank is very dirty and hasn't been maintained properly
I think the main problems could be a very algae infested tank (nyrites recently got rid of it) if that can cause it, or possibly a powder people at the pet store told her to put in it. It gave the top a look that reminded me of oil in a puddle.

But yes.. I don't believe that her parents would let her get top much of it, as they're, well, cheap. And, my friend loves her dearly, and wouldn't want her suffering through trying to get better, especially if she dies of it in the end. So, since she she doesn't have clove oil, I've recommended the ice bath...

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The way her gills are extended makes me think she's suffocating. Can you test your friend's water? Do you know how often she changes the water? Is there a filter on the tank?

ShadowKittyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Aquaphobia said:
The way her gills are extended makes me think she's suffocating. Can you test your friend's water? Do you know how often she changes the water? Is there a filter on the tank?
There is a filter, and she does water changes of about a quarter of the water. I have no ways to test it

clownxfishx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Don't go the ice bath route, that causes the fish to suffer. I got clove oil the other day from amazon for like $4 w/ free shipping, could she do some chores or something to get the clove oil? It's really the most humane way.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom