What's wrong with Atlas?

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just now I fed him his evening meal - garlic soaked bloodworms which he refused, so the pellets it was !
I noticed his gills were a funny colour, shown in the pics below. I don't know what it is.

At the moment he is getting daily water changes with VitaChem as his fins are wrecked as you can see. They were so long and full that when he swims, they rip even more. He has real plants and a non-sharp castle so I know nothing is ripping them...

If anyone can help me, please do! I'm having enough to do with my sick Mars to have another big problem.

Attachments

Heather M

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It sounds a lot like Nelson. He tears his fins all the time for no apparent reason. I have no idea what to do for him except what is usually suggested on this site (vita chem, garlic, etc.). As for the gills, I have no idea. Is it a color change, or is there something else going on that the pic doesn't show. About the time Nelson's fins started tearing, the colors on his gills changed. Did you look at this at all?: I hope you find out how to help him.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks Heather, they must be similar that way lol!!

He has had his lights out for a while now and when I put a flashlight on him, his head went a shimmery greeny colour which is not normal as his head is normally a very dark blue. Could this be the dreaded velvet? If so I have 3 fish to treat as he had to go beside two friends for a couple of days at the end of last week as I needed his tank temporarily

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I had another look at him this morning, and I don't see the colouring now, although my brother's betta, also with a very dark face seems to have the beigey colour on him too, it depends on the light.

Could it just be something that bettas with dark faces get? When I put a light on him, only his head goes greeny, but there are no gold dustings on him anywhere as far as I can see having researched velvet a bit more today.

fishtroy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My boys have had this on them. To me it is ok. If is spread rapidly or anything i would be worried but otherwise its probably just them. My boys that have shown this similar patch in the same place have had fine normal lives and it never amounted to anything.
His colour is looking beautiful by the way.

lea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I've had a velvet case with my last betta, and yep - if it isn't the 'gold dust' then it isn't velvet.

It does sound odd though. Hopefully it's just his colour on the face in different light. I hear sometimes body colour can change somewhat with age, and if it's only noticeable in different light then maybe it just wasn't noticed until now??. My bettas have all been palefaces, so i'm afraid i can't elaborate more!

Best of luck!!

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks lea, he seems fine, blowing bubbles all over the place, jumping for food, the colour seems to have gone, it seems maybe the dark faces have this, as both bettas are doing just great.
I had a panic over nothing lol...

lea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Good to hear it was much ado about nothing Tigerfishy (don't worry, i always panic at the first sign of anything too )

Hooray for atlas!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads