Nitrates <5 (heavily planted tank)
Ammonia 0
Copper no test for this
TDS 102
Temperature 76

Your Aquarium

Size? 5 gallon
How long has this tank been set up? 6 months
Are there any other inhabitants? Other neocaridina, 2 amano, 2 nerite, and a mystery snail
What is your water change schedule and%? ~ 10% change every week or 2 (usually do it when trimming plants)
What do you feed and how often? Bacter AE, Hikari shrimp/crab/mini herbivore/carnivore wafers some fresh cucumber/mulberry
Do you add any chemicals? (water conditioner, fertiliser,meds etc) I use prime for every water change and Aquarium Coop all-in-one fertilizer occassionally if my nitrates are really low.
Filtration? built in sponge filter (Fluval Spec V)
Substrate? Flourite

Introduction to the Tank (if applicable)

How long has the invert been in the tank? Was born in tank
How did you acclimate them? N/A

------
Details:
This shrimp has looked like this since I noticed it at the juvenile stage. It hasn't changed in any notable way since I first discovered it, a few weeks-month ago. It doesn't exhibit any abnormal behavior as far as I can tell. It spends most of it's time grazing and swims/moves without any apparent issue.

When I look at it really closely the area seems to be confined to the body only, and honestly seems to have the color/texture of a female saddle but occupies the majority of the body.

There is no external component/nothing on the shell or swimmerets.

Attachments

• accd7mf37bl71.jpg
    accd7mf37bl71.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 24
  • bn08g3y27bl71.jpg
    bn08g3y27bl71.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 25
  • qkbrry737bl71.jpg
    qkbrry737bl71.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 24

richiep

That shrimp as Muscular Necrosis and looks pretty advanced
Lack of nutritionts, chemical imbalance, even wrong water perameters are thought to cause this but no one is sure without the research there's no cure and it will die, dont allow other shrimp to est it when it dies or better still remove him

Rhyu

Lack of nutritionts, chemical imbalance, even wrong water perameters are thought to cause this but no one is sure without the research there's no cure and it will die, dont allow other shrimp to est it when it dies or better still remove him
Thanks, wasn't sure if it was MN since it's been around for a while, didn't want to isolate if it was nothing. I'll move him to another tank without shrimp.
Is there anything you could think of from my above info that I can do to try to avoid this in the future?

I do have cuttlefish bone in the tank as well for additional calcium.

richiep

The only other similar is porcelain disease but that again will finish them off quick, bacteria eats the shrimp from inside.
As for treatment there isn't, the only thing you can do to try and prevent them is a good clean tank, regular water changes,check your perameters regularly
Not to say you don't do all this already , you can only try and prevent but as for cure there's not.
There's nothing putting him in qt and try something maybe hydrogen peroxide

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
THamilton
  • Question
Replies
Views
FishSupreme
Replies
Views
SanDiegoRedneck