What's with my betta?

catglass

Reaction score
IMG_20200711_184218~2.jpg

What's up with this guy's white spots? Someone please help. They're on both pectoral fins, as well as some of his body, and they look approximately symmetrical. They look bigger than ich dots, so I'm unsure what it could be. His behaviors have been pretty normal, he's eaten well and is very active. The spots showed up yesterday morning, after I rescaped a lot of his tank. I got him a week ago, so he's probably still stressed. My friend borrowed my nitrate test, but my ammonia and nitrite read 0. He's in a sparse 10 gallon that is filtered, heated, and cycled. Could he be sick? I'm really worried

Crimson_687

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It’s good that he’s still eating. I think you should be able to treat it with Tetra Lifegaurd. It works great on external diseases, IME, and prevents secondary infection.

Does it appear to be a worm? It looks to me like fungal growth, but I could be wrong.

OP
catglass

catglass

Reaction score
Crimson_687 said:
It’s good that he’s still eating. I think you should be able to treat it with Tetra Lifegaurd. It works great on external diseases, IME, and prevents secondary infection.

Does it appear to be a worm? It looks to me like fungal growth, but I could be wrong.
I'll check out the tetra lifeguard, thanks. It doesn't appear to be wormlike, it seems mostly flat and doesn't protrude at all, he seems otherwise pretty okay. He clamped one of his fins for a little bit earlier today but he seems better. The dots don't seem to have grown at all over the past couple days, thankfully.

Crimson_687

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
catglass said:
I'll check out the tetra lifeguard, thanks. It doesn't appear to be wormlike, it seems mostly flat and doesn't protrude at all, he seems otherwise pretty okay. He clamped one of his fins for a little bit earlier today but he seems better. The dots don't seem to have grown at all over the past couple days, thankfully.
You can also add aquarium salt. Some external diseases are salt intolerant and salt won’t hurt your betta. However, salt should not be your only means of treatment.

EDIT: be aware that tetra lifegaurd is not safe for plants or invertebrates. You may need to temporarily remove the betta for treatment or seek a med that won’t harm plants. There are a lot of fish meds out there

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom