Whats Wild Betta Splendens Territory Size?

CanadianFishFan
Ive been looking everywhere for the dimension of wild bettas territory. How many feet are they? My dream is to have a tank with males, also I'm interested to how much space the males protect.

david1978
Well I couldn't find that info either. Closest I could find was 3 square feet. However I currently have 3 males and 13 females in a 75 gallon tank. Heavily planted with lots of sight breaks. Hope that helps.
Shhh don't tell texasdomer. Lol

CanadianFishFan
Well I couldn't find that info either. Closest I could find was 3 square feet. However I currently have 3 males and 13 females in a 75 gallon tank. Heavily planted with lots of sight breaks. Hope that helps.
Shhh don't tell texasdomer. Lol
Well its hard because tanks are so different and have more plants then the wild... Hmm back to researching. Thanks anyway, my dream is a huge low pond at like eye level with a male sorority. It would only happen if I one the 60million lottery....

InsanityShard
Well their ponds aren't always low. A bit of a varied flooring would suit them better.

CanadianFishFan
Well their ponds aren't always low. A bit of a varied flooring would suit them better.
I guess I would agree on that, if I ever made it like this I would have so areas only inches deep and some like 3feet. Plus a low waterfall (low flow) for them to jump up and down on. Then with viewing panels on each side. It would cost like.... $3, 000? only in my dreams...

david1978
theres always alternatives.

InsanityShard
$50 a week put aside is already $2600 in a year- saving up doesn't take much. =P

CanadianFishFan
theres always alternatives.
Would it still work even though its 50gallons? Since its so low would a male sorority still work because there territory is horizontal?

CanadianFishFan
$50 a week put aside is already $2600 in a year- saving up doesn't take much. =P
well once I get a job yeah, thanks.

david1978
It has a bigger footprint then my tank so chances would be better. They used to make a 4 foot by 4 foot by 12 inch tank for stingray but I can't find anybody still selling it.

2211Nighthawk
It has a bigger footprint then my tank so chances would be better. They used to make a 4 foot by 4 foot by 12 inch tank for stingray but I can't find anybody still selling it.
Could you not get someone to build it? I’ve been lucky in finding 2 guys that did my tanks for cheap.

CanadianFishFan
Could you not get someone to build it? I’ve been lucky in finding 2 guys that did my tanks for cheap.
CustomAquariums.com ?

2211Nighthawk
CustomAquariums.com ?
Mine was private. One guy did it out of his basement (man that sucked lugging that thing up the stairs) and another his garage.

Dch48
Well its hard because tanks are so different and have more plants then the wild... Hmm back to researching. Thanks anyway, my dream is a huge low pond at like eye level with a male sorority. It would only happen if I one the 60million lottery....
Tanks don't always have more plants than in the wild.

CanadianFishFan
Tanks don't always have more plants than in the wild.
well I agree, so technically this is even better?

Discus-Tang
Bettas are more aggressive in captivity because of selective breeding, so territory would be a bigger issue for them.

Dch48
Bettas are more aggressive in captivity because of selective breeding, so territory would be a bigger issue for them.
That's part of it but they also have less room to set up their space so they probably claim more in a tank than in the wild.

david1978
Each of my males has claimed about 10 gallons of the tank. The girls don't seem to stake a claim and swim threw the whole tank. Its kind of weird they don't necessarily chase any body away they just don't swim beyond a certain spot.

Rtessy
I've read that since betta splendis has been selectively bred for so long for aggressiveness that there aren't any with these characteristics in the wild, so they technically don't exist in the wild. I've also read that the males of the species stake a claim to a territory while the females do not, and the females simply swim from one male's territory to another and are rather migrant, which is how most avoid being killed. Technically these statements can't both be true, but there might be parts of each that are.

Dch48
I've read that since betta splendis has been selectively bred for so long for aggressiveness that there aren't any with these characteristics in the wild, so they technically don't exist in the wild. I've also read that the males of the species stake a claim to a territory while the females do not, and the females simply swim from one male's territory to another and are rather migrant, which is how most avoid being killed. Technically these statements can't both be true, but there might be parts of each that are.
Well, some breeders go for aggressiveness and others for show quality fish. They are not all bred to fight and the ones that are are usually of the shorter finned variety like Plakat.

CanadianFishFan
well yeah of course our pet store betta splendins would not be in the wild... But the actual ones are. Wow those males must got a lot of sidechicks!

CanadianFishFan
Well, some breeders go for aggressiveness and others for show quality fish. They are not all bred to fight and the ones that are are usually of the shorter finned variety like Plakat.
I agree, from a long term breeder whose breeding for quality may have good bettas. Do they still breed them for fighting...?

Discus-Tang
I agree, from a long term breeder whose breeding for quality may have good bettas. Do they still breed them for fighting...?
Sadly, yes. But the betta breeding pioneers bred aggressiveness into them, and it is hard to undo that.

CanadianFishFan
Sadly, yes. But the betta breeding pioneers bred aggressiveness into them, and it is hard to undo that.
I'm sure old breeders have done good with that but petstores don't care I guess of who they breed. I've seen bettas born without eyes at petsmart. I wonder if you could start your own non aggressive betta line and sell them online. Get super peaceful bettas who are friendly in community tanks and breed them? I don't think we can get out them being aggressive to their own kind but to other fish may be possible.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
hamilfin
Replies
Views
NavigatorBlack
Replies
Views
Zai
Replies
Views