What's up?

BRD79

Hello Fishlore. My name is Cliff. I got into this hobby not long ago in December of '19. I purchased a 45 gallon on a huge sale that holiday season and it has spiraled out of control. I grew up having a Dad that always had an American cichlid tank of some sort. After 7 years in owning my house I decided it was time for me to try out the hobby. I didn't know how it would go cause I tried in my younger years and failed, but not so much this time. I switched it up from my old man and decided on African Cichlids. My original plan that if I enjoyed the hobby and was successful, I would get a huge tank for my cichlids in 2021. Well, by November I was up to 3 tanks and even bred my own hybrid peacocks. I guess you could say the year went pretty good. Plus, picking up the hobby just before Covid definitely gave me something to do with my time last year.

I work in golf maintenance and have for 23 years now. I went to college for it about 15 years ago. When I started in this hobby it had never dawned on me how close my career is with fishkeeping. Irrigating a golf course in dry, arid California requires lots of knowledge about water and soil management, both massively useful to fishkeeping. I found it invigorating to adapt my knowledge to this hobby.

Also with Covid and golf, we had a record year of business with golf being the pretty much the only outdoor activity allowed in CA. I work for a great place and they rewarded all us that worked everyday through the pandemic. And we were rewarded well. Where did mine go? Yep, you guessed it. I went full speed ahead with my big tank. I custom ordered a 150 gallon tall, peninsula style with overflow box and sump filtration. I'm on the last stages so I'll make a build post for that. My design was very ambitious and I'm shocked I actually pulled it off. I may have had to do everything twice, but I managed to get it done.

5.jpg

My main tank was a 45 tall. Originally had an Emporer 400 HOB but it crapped out and I switched it out with a Tidal 110(That I love, btw. The media storage is epic). This tank also has a Fluval GX3 canister filter cause it is massively overstocked with 13 cichlids and 5 on the clean up crew. I've maintained a very healthy tank but these fish are in serious need of their new home.

1.jpg
2.jpg

My second tank came when one of male peacocks turned out to be female and was holding. She had been acting weird for a while and I like to take notes of that stuff. I went back and realized it had been going on for at least 25 days. Poor lady was probably holding for 30 days when I moved her. I got a deal on a Flex 15, got the tank set up and had extra media so I moved her a couple days later. She spit the fry almost immediately. Unfortunately I think that was too long for her to hold and she never ate food again. Found her floating the next day. Then I had accident with heater on that tank ended up losing the fry too. Tough lesson learned with all that.

3.jpg

2 months later I ended up with another accidental female in my male tank, so she became a solo resident of the Flex 15. Months later I caught her with an egg tube hanging and decided give her male and see what happened. She attacked him for 3 minutes and then they did the dance. This led to tank 3 and setting up a 20 gallon fry tank. I bred her twice with the intent to keep a handful of them when I eventually get my big tank. The tank started with 2 sponge filters but recently I swapped one out for a Sicce Shark and I really dig that filter too.

4.jpg

After I finish the 150 and move my squad over, mama peacock will move to 45 with some of the larger fry to grow out. The 45 will probably just be my grow/ quarantine tank from here on out. I'm kinda excited about the Flex 15 cause once that tank is free I'm going to convert it into my first planted tank. And this the reason I've decided to try the whole forum thing out. I don't have many local friends in the hobby and I pretty much only do fish talk with my LFS. It's a great shop but I always want to talk more and they have a business to run so I don't like bothering them too much. Figured I come here and hang out with you folks on the forums. Take and thanks for reading.

aquachris

Welcome to fishlore! Looks like your well onto MTS like many others of us here lol!

Broggy

welcome to fishlore. I love your tanks so much, what are the dimensions of the 150? also are you planning to do a sump under there?

Basil

Welcome! Nice tanks!
I’ve thought about trying Africans but don’t want to deal with the mistaken female and fry. So I’ll stick to my loaches, barbs, rasboras, and other assorted Asian fish that don’t produce fry (that often anyway!).
And I’m jealous! We also got a pandemic bonus but it wasn’t enough to purchase a 150 lol!

carsonsgjs

Hello Fishlore. My name is Cliff. I got into this hobby not long ago in December of '19. I purchased a 45 gallon on a huge sale that holiday season and it has spiraled out of control. I grew up having a Dad that always had an American cichlid tank of some sort. After 7 years in owning my house I decided it was time for me to try out the hobby. I didn't know how it would go cause I tried in my younger years and failed, but not so much this time. I switched it up from my old man and decided on African Cichlids. My original plan that if I enjoyed the hobby and was successful, I would get a huge tank for my cichlids in 2021. Well, by November I was up to 3 tanks and even bred my own hybrid peacocks. I guess you could say the year went pretty good. Plus, picking up the hobby just before Covid definitely gave me something to do with my time last year.

I work in golf maintenance and have for 23 years now. I went to college for it about 15 years ago. When I started in this hobby it had never dawned on me how close my career is with fishkeeping. Irrigating a golf course in dry, arid California requires lots of knowledge about water and soil management, both massively useful to fishkeeping. I found it invigorating to adapt my knowledge to this hobby.

Also with Covid and golf, we had a record year of business with golf being the pretty much the only outdoor activity allowed in CA. I work for a great place and they rewarded all us that worked everyday through the pandemic. And we were rewarded well. Where did mine go? Yep, you guessed it. I went full speed ahead with my big tank. I custom ordered a 150 gallon tall, peninsula style with overflow box and sump filtration. I'm on the last stages so I'll make a build post for that. My design was very ambitious and I'm shocked I actually pulled it off. I may have had to do everything twice, but I managed to get it done.

5.jpg

My main tank was a 45 tall. Originally had an Emporer 400 HOB but it crapped out and I switched it out with a Tidal 110(That I love, btw. The media storage is epic). This tank also has a Fluval GX3 canister filter cause it is massively overstocked with 13 cichlids and 5 on the clean up crew. I've maintained a very healthy tank but these fish are in serious need of their new home.

1.jpg
2.jpg

My second tank came when one of male peacocks turned out to be female and was holding. She had been acting weird for a while and I like to take notes of that stuff. I went back and realized it had been going on for at least 25 days. Poor lady was probably holding for 30 days when I moved her. I got a deal on a Flex 15, got the tank set up and had extra media so I moved her a couple days later. She spit the fry almost immediately. Unfortunately I think that was too long for her to hold and she never ate food again. Found her floating the next day. Then I had accident with heater on that tank ended up losing the fry too. Tough lesson learned with all that.

3.jpg

2 months later I ended up with another accidental female in my male tank, so she became a solo resident of the Flex 15. Months later I caught her with an egg tube hanging and decided give her male and see what happened. She attacked him for 3 minutes and then they did the dance. This led to tank 3 and setting up a 20 gallon fry tank. I bred her twice with the intent to keep a handful of them when I eventually get my big tank. The tank started with 2 sponge filters but recently I swapped one out for a Sicce Shark and I really dig that filter too.

4.jpg

After I finish the 150 and move my squad over, mama peacock will move to 45 with some of the larger fry to grow out. The 45 will probably just be my grow/ quarantine tank from here on out. I'm kinda excited about the Flex 15 cause once that tank is free I'm going to convert it into my first planted tank. And this the reason I've decided to try the whole forum thing out. I don't have many local friends in the hobby and I pretty much only do fish talk with my LFS. It's a great shop but I always want to talk more and they have a business to run so I don't like bothering them too much. Figured I come here and hang out with you folks on the forums. Take and thanks for reading.
Welcome! Looking forward to seeing your latest tank up and running.

BRD79

welcome to fishlore. I love your tanks so much, what are the dimensions of the 150? also are you planning to do a sump under there?
Dimensions are 48 x 24 x 30. My LCS ordered it from a place in So Cal called Aquarium Masters. I wanted as big as I could get, but anything over 4 feet is too big for my house. So this tall tank was my best option. The only thing that sucks is getting getting rocks in the tank. I had to buy a ladder for it!
I am doing a sump. This layout took me a couple tries to get right but I got it working pretty good now.
20210318_163358.jpg
Welcome! Nice tanks!
I’ve thought about trying Africans but don’t want to deal with the mistaken female and fry. So I’ll stick to my loaches, barbs, rasboras, and other assorted Asian fish that don’t produce fry (that often anyway!).
And I’m jealous! We also got a pandemic bonus but it wasn’t enough to purchase a 150 lol!
I love the place I work cause I have never worked somewhere that has taken such good care of its staff. Last year proved it more than ever before.
I have a great online cichlid breeder I get mine from that guarantees male if you buy male. Costs a little more but its been worth it so far.
I have 2 Yo-yo loaches that I really like!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views
K3nzie
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views