What's Up With This Fry's Eye?

  • Thread starter

ItsLadyJadey

Valued Member
Messages
288
Reaction score
92
Points
43
Experience
Just started
So recently my (red?) female molly had some fry. I saved two of them. They're kinda pink colored and transparent right now. One was and still is much smaller than the other but they both are growing, eating and acting like normal. The thing is, this smaller fry, there's something up with one of its eyeballs. It looks like it's turning black from the inside? I've watched water quality very closely as I've been having issues in my main tank with ammonia so I moved them to my cycled 10 gallon to make sure they wouldn't suffer. Params are good on it reading 0, 0, and 10 (a, ni, na) so I know it's not water quality. Heated. Filtered. Oxygen. They even have Java moss to hide in, in the breeder box. There's no aggressive behavior between these two fry and my older 2 golden panda fry still in there with them so I have ruled out injury. What could this be? It's slowly getting bigger too I think. It wasn't born this way I know that much.
 

Attachments

Aquaman9101

Valued Member
Messages
206
Reaction score
34
Points
53
I think it's just a genetic variant, like blue eyed plecos. I once got some mollies as a gift who seemed to be of the same brood. They all had all black eyes. Interestingly, mine also had a gold ring in their eyes, which seemed to be their irises.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

ItsLadyJadey

Valued Member
Messages
288
Reaction score
92
Points
43
Experience
Just started
I suppose but it's weird, it's like the fish is developing a black eye. It's not affecting the iris at all. Both fry have silver irises and a black pupil. It's in its eye socket! I suppose it could develop spots or something because lord knows they'd be fathered by any type of molly they had in the tank at the store. But she is definitely a deep orange/red color and they are transparent pink right now so I guess I assumed they would both end up the same color as her.
 

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Messages
649
Reaction score
212
Points
78
Experience
Just started
ItsLadyJadey said:
I suppose but it's weird, it's like the fish is developing a black eye. It's not affecting the iris at all. Both fry have silver irises and a black pupil. It's in its eye socket! I suppose it could develop spots or something because lord knows they'd be fathered by any type of molly they had in the tank at the store. But she is definitely a deep orange/red color and they are transparent pink right now so I guess I assumed they would both end up the same color as her.
Keep and eye on it but its probably just normal. My mollies colors change slightly all the time. Especially my dalmatians and pandas.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

ItsLadyJadey

Valued Member
Messages
288
Reaction score
92
Points
43
Experience
Just started
ASHLEY R COOK said:
Keep and eye on it but its probably just normal. My mollies colors change slightly all the time. Especially my dalmatians and pandas.
Yeah my pandas change a bit too so does my dalmatian, especially my panda fry but it was just weird given the mother is a solid color. I assume it's from the father. Could end up with a funky looking fish! I'm for sure keeping an eye on them. I have a bloated panda fry and it's concerning. But that's a different topic.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

ItsLadyJadey

Valued Member
Messages
288
Reaction score
92
Points
43
Experience
Just started
Well. It doesn't look like this little fry is gonna make it, truthfully. It's sibling is easily 2-3x it's size and this little one has barely grown at all. It's tailfin is thin and long too rather than getting wide so I find that weird. But now little one is acting lethargic and gasping at the bottom of the breeder box. I've already let it's sibling into the main tank with the guppies and my other 2 panda fry and the growth difference is quite alarming. Poor thing. It really had a rough time from the start as it seemed a little premature when it was born.
 

mollybabes

Well Known Member
Messages
725
Reaction score
134
Points
78
Experience
5 to 10 years
ItsLadyJadey said:
Well. It doesn't look like this little fry is gonna make it, truthfully. It's sibling is easily 2-3x it's size and this little one has barely grown at all. It's tailfin is thin and long too rather than getting wide so I find that weird. But now little one is acting lethargic and gasping at the bottom of the breeder box. I've already let it's sibling into the main tank with the guppies and my other 2 panda fry and the growth difference is quite alarming. Poor thing. It really had a rough time from the start as it seemed a little premature when it was born.
1. Victoria was born white and developed spot so they can change like that.
2. Wiggle was born with a deformed tail and made it to 4 months. It might survive.
3.Darkness was always half the size of Demi, Wiggle and Victoria but outlived Demi and Wiggle.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter

ItsLadyJadey

Valued Member
Messages
288
Reaction score
92
Points
43
Experience
Just started
Sadly little one didn't make it, as I figured. I also lost a guppy to dropsy which is confusing. Haven't had an issue in my tanks in a while so I'll have to keep an eye on my tank.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom