What's up with this current in my tank? Also, fish breed I.D., please

1. puppyduks Initiate Member

I started a new thread now that I have gotten my 10gallon tank set up and ready for fish. I now have in my tank two guppies. One is suposed to be a green cobra guppy but he looks yellow to me. Anyway, he is very pretty. And another guppy that the store said was a cobra guppy but I don't think it is. It's got a yellow/pinkish/silver head and shoulders, black abdomen to the base of tail, and a rounded tail fin that looks like a match flame (yellow/orange with black tip). It's a very pretty little fish. Anyone know what it may be? It's definitely shaped like a guppy.

Also, I am a complete beginner at this so I got the 10g "setup". I think it's an Aqueon. The filter it came with seems to make a strong current in the tank. My fish are going to keep really fit swimming in it. The water falls down from the filter and creates a strong downflow, so much that my guppies can't swim directly under it. I can't imagine what will happen when I put ghost shrimp in there... they're gonna be swept round and round the way this thing is set up. How do I fix this, or is it supposed to be like that?

I just thought of another nooby question. They keep reasting on the gravel for short periods of time. Is this okay? I just want my fish to be happy.

Oh, and another request... can someone please post a picture of what an anal fin is, and what a male and female one looks like? I am not wrapping my head around this seemingly simple concept.

Thank you! I know I am asking a lot, sorry.

2. Grits78 Initiate Member

images.jpg this is the best I could find to identify male or female for you.

3. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore both of you!

To lessen the downward push of the water return you can fill the tank to the top frame or you can stuff the filter with a sponge. Both usually work to minimize the downward thrust.

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? Have you cycled your tank? If not, follow the link (underlined words) to read what happens inside our aquariums. I ask because fish sitting on the substrate or hanging at the water surface are warning signs.

Do you have a test kit? If so, what are your current parameters? If not, I recommend a liquid test kit, such as API Freshwater Master Kit. It contains all the tests you need to monitor and will last well over a year!!

:;fIf you wouldn't mind, please provide complete Aquarium Profile Information. This information will help the members to gain an understanding of your tank. Just click the Forum Action link at the top of this page and select Edit Profile. Complete the information on your aquarium, including tank size, filtration, stocking, lighting, water parameters, etc. And save your changes. Then you won't be inundated with answering questions about your tank.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

4. Legures Member Member

That is another guppy. Guppies can be put under the category "Fancy Guppies" which can be any cool looking guppy. Some fancies have a specific name like your other one. The names only refer to the looks of the guppy. Guppies are all guppies even though the coloration might be different.

5. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

6. puppyduks Initiate Member

Where do I put the sponge? Before or after the filter?

Thanks for the tip about them hanging out on the bottom. When I woke up this morning they were a bit listless and hanging out at the surface. I immediately got online to check responses and saw that it was a warning sign. I changed out 25% of the water and they instantly became perky little curious fish again.

I really hope my rookie-ness doesn't cost them their life.

Glad to know they are all guppy. I know they are not the "coolest" fish a person could have, but after looking at a lot of fish and taking in the perameters of my tank, they are just what I was looking for. They have such personalities!

Oh, and I will put in the specifics of my tank setup this weekend when things are less hectic. I am a single mom with a full time job, a toddler and a young Lab... free time, what is that?? :)

7. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Sounds like your tank is cycling. I recommend daily water changes with a detoxing water conditioner such as Seachem Primr or Kordon NovAqua+ with AmQuel+. These products make water safe for fish, help the slime coat and detox waste for 24 hours.

Continue with daily water changes until there is no measurable ammonia or nitrite; and some nitrate.

As for the sponge, stuff it into the filter. The more media in the filter the slower the eater moves through it.

8. puppyduks Initiate Member

I came home from work and my fish were hanging out at the top again. I put in a fizzing amonnia clear tablet. Then I got the siphon hose and vacuumed the gravel. There was lots of uneaten food. I then did a 50% water change and put Aqueon brand water conditioner in the water, making sure the water temp was the same. I put in another fizzing Amonnia Clear tablet and filled the water all the way up to just above the filter outlet to reduce downflow. I also put a piece of aquarium sponge behind the filter. My fish were happy and swam around the tank and ate like they were starving. Now they're back at the top again. I am wondering if maybe they need an air bubbler thingy? I only have a filter and a heater hooked up to the tank right now.

9. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!

I don't think a bubbler would solve your problems; it would most likely create more of a current and is generally only added if the tank water is warmer (adds oxygen to the tank) or for decoration. You could add one if you want, if you think your fish would be able to hangle the current that is produced. If your temperature is too warm, simply turn it down a bit :) They're probably hanging out at the top because you're probably still going through cycling your tank. At this point, you really need some sort of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate test kits- I would also recommend API liquid test kits. Have you read up on the nitrogen cycle, as suggested above?

10. puppyduks Initiate Member

Thanks, yes I have read up on the nitrogen cycle, and had my water tested at a local fish store (not Petco). The lady said my tank was ready for fish last Monday so I bought two guppies. The tank sat for a week after I set it up with just a plecostemus in it and some plants, so it was only empty for two days (re-homed the pleco on Saturday, got the guppies on Monday).

I have been using the paper test strips during the week and taking a water sample to the fish store on the weekends. Looks like I need to buy my own testing supplies and ditch the paper strips.

I just filled out my profile on this foum with all my tank particulars. Sorry it took so long.

11. bowcrazy Well Known Member Member

Remember when feeding small fish like Guppies their stomach is only about the size of their eye ball. Two Guppies will only eat a very small amount, just a few small flakes will fill them. Only feed what they can eat in under a minute or two. This will help lower the amount of decaying food in the tank which will help lower the ammonia level in the tank also.

12. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

No worries!

It looks like your temperature is fine, but if you want to add an airstone you can, as long as your fish can handle it. Upgrading your test kit will definitely benefit your fish! Some pet stores will tell you the truth, but most are just trying to make a sale. If you need to get your water tested at a pet store before you get the new kit, definitely ask to see the results, just to double check.

Are the guppies still acting funny?

13. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hello and :sign0016: to FishLore!

Were you able to post your ammonia,nitrite,and nitrate readings? I didn't see them on your profile. These are the Big Three when it comes to testing your water.

I don't have any experience with those ammonia fizzing tablet thingies, but I have not heard good things about them. :;dk

We would love to see pictures of your fish and fish tank if you have a spare moment. (I know you said you're a single mom with a toddler and fulltime job...more power to you!!!!!)

14. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

I would also suggest instead of the Aqueon water conditioner you purchase some Prime or Amquel. The both detoxify ammonia and nitrate for 24 hours in the tank until your next water change. When you are cycling, it can be a fish life saver.

15. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

You really don't want to use ammonia removers. The reason being is that ammonia is the food source for the bacteria you are trying to grow. Without a food source for the bacteria, the tank will never cycle. You really want to use an ammonia detoxing water conditioner such as Prime. Prime does not remove ammonia, but instead puts ammonia in a state that is non toxic to fish, but still in a form that can feed the bacteria.

16. puppyduks Initiate Member

Okay, thanks. I just have go keep my little guys (and yep, they are guys!) alive for another day. I live in a tiny town, which has a small town close by (30 min). There are no fish supplies here, but in the small town ther is a LFS and a Petco. And a Walmart. Looks like I am going to be spending some money on test kit (API), Prime or Amquel, and whatever else I need. Maybe some Tetra Safe Start? Thank you again, you are saving my fishes from a miserable existence right now by guiding me in their needs.

The ammonia fizz tabs I used because I had them here at the house and they were readily available. I use them weekly in the washing machine to take the ammonia smell out of my daughter's cloth diapers. Works like a charm! LOL probably TMI.

17. puppyduks Initiate Member

Oh, another question- my fish like to sniff at the gravel or a plant leaf and then quickly rub themselves on it. What's up with that? Are they itchy? Do they want me to get them a masseuse? They will also be swimming along and then suddenly dart forward. Is this related to their rubbing behavoir?

18. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

This could be a sign of ich. My fish will occasionally "sniff" at something and rub on it, which is fine, but if you notice that they do it all the time, it could be a sign of ich.

19. cameronpalte Member Member

I got an aqueon 10 yesterday for my baby guppies. My recommendation is fill the tank to the very top so there is hardly any down fall of the filter.

API Freshwater Master Test Kit + Tetra Safe Start + Prime + API Stress Coat + Hikari First Bites (if you have a male and female guppy they will have babies)... + Bloodworms + Flakes

to start your larger purchase list:). not 100% sure:).

20. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

You really do not need Prime and Stress Coat+ since Prime does everything Stress Coat+ does then some.

Also if you choose to use SafeStart, be sure to wait at least 24 after any ammonia detoxing water conditioner has been added to the tank.