What's up with petsmart fish ?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Angels4, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Angels4

Angels4 Valued Member Member

I bought 2 German blue Rams against my good judgement at petsmart yesterday and 1 is already dead
    My juvenile meany koi Angel has been shipped from Florida and transferred into 3 tanks and during cycling and he is fine ,, bring home one from petsmart and he is dead in a day

2. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry to hear that. :( I've had some bad stock from my local petsmart as well so now I go 40 miles away to another store and have never had any fish deaths there.
    I don't know if they get theirs from a different supplier or not but I have noticed the tanks are in much better condition than my local store.

Also WHEN they get them in could also be a factor as they are already stressed from shipping/traveling. If the shipment comes in on a Friday, I usually do not buy until Tuesday/Wednesday at the earliest as this gives them time to acclimate and settle in.

Maybe try another store???

3. OP
    OP
    Angels4

They get theirs in on Thursday and I bought on Saturday .Me and my daughter went to 2 other fish stores in the area and 1 store had a dead Angel others were feeding off of and almost all his tanks had a dead fish , the other store pretty much the same thing .I wouldn't even buy my plants from either store because fish were in the same tank .I have gotton all my plants from petsmart and all are doing well but no fish kept with plants.

I think I will stick to ordering my fish from Florida

4. p

powwow Valued Member Member

The PetSmart near me just crams the fish into tiny tanks. I do buy their plants and some supplies from them. For some reason their set up reminds me of the set up they would have in a corner of the Sears or Zellars store when I was a boy. But the Sears and Zellars tanks were dark and dirty. But the same as far as packing the tanks with fish and stacking them up along one section of wall. Petland has a nice set up. I buy usually from a place called Pisces, they really know their stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L-cSrDImzQ&list=PLdJunJQKC4qNW2sghGVsCpC8keR68KGfO&index=5

5. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

the problems i think with chain stores is that they often hire people who have little to zero knowledge of the animals they're selling OR
    sell incompatible equipment.

for example my petsmart sells up to 29 gallon tanks and has a sale on oscars and bala sharks..seriously?!?!?

6. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Ya'll crack me up complaining about LFS tank sizes. They use small tanks because it is much easier to catch their stock out of them when the time comes. And most stores including PetSmart/Petco get their bread and butter fish from the same place. PetSmart sells tanks up to 150 gallons in store and 300 gallons online.

7. OP
    OP
    Angels4

I bought all my tanks and plants ,chemicals etc from petsmart , just afraid of the fish now

8. slayer5590

Wait a week then take it back and get one from a different shipment. And all their fish are shipped from Florida too lol.

9. Jim

Jim Well Known Member Member

Most all fish stores whether Big Box or not get their fish from Seagrest in Florida.

10. X

XxTheSilentWolfxX New Member Member

This has happened to me many times. Personally, I still go to my local PetSmart from time to time to look at fish and supplies there. There's only three pet stores in my area and the only fish store is about forty miles away so I don't go there often. I like the fish store's fish the best, but in descending order of how much I like them is the fish store, the other pet store (I won't list names of these else it gives away my location), PetCo, and PetSmart. PetSmart fish are often sickly. If you know what to look for as far as signs of illness go, almost all of PetSmart's tanks will have sick fish. Out of the few dozen small tanks my local PetSmart has, perhaps 95% of them had sick and dead fish one day I went in. As far as their fish go, I rarely buy any from them. But when I do, I ALWAYS avoid tanks that have dead fish in them. PetSmart often has tanks that have several dead fish in them, unlike the other local pet stores. Also, out of all of them, the employees at PetSmart know next to nothing. One person there suggested I pair a tiny little Endler's Guppy with my three inch Angelfish! While I do buy fish at PetSmart occasionally, I rarely do. I always look for signs of illness when I do.

And actually, I have seen the same exact fish supply truck going to PetCo and PetSmart, lol. It's just how they take care of their fish.

11. Plecomaker

not really, mine is a mini petsmart and sells only up to 29 gallons. thats why its messed up to sell bala sharks.

12. slayer5590

PetSmart uses a central filtration system on their tanks so If one tank has sick fish they all do. However their feeder tanks are on a separate system.

13. Plecomaker

alot of lfs dont buy in bulk like this;
    some of mine breed their own or buy from locals, like me,
    and end up getting fish that have had less transport stress too.
    I think that makes a big difference.

my main lfs currently uses different filters on different tanks to demonstrate them to buyers, which i think is cool.

14. fisharegreat8962

fisharegreat8962 Valued Member Member

Really? The fish from my Petsmart are always nice and healthy, they're rarely sick and there's never any dead fish. Before you say anything else, I actually DO go there really often, at least on a weekly basis if not 3-4 times a week :)

15. X

XxTheSilentWolfxX New Member Member

Well, I'd say your dang lucky!

16. OP
    OP
    Angels4

Both my German Rams have died from petsmart , 1 each day .

17. tfreema

tfreema Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry your fish died.
    I think it has a lot to do with the employees in charge of the fish area and turnover of those employees. My local petland has gone up and down because of this. They do have tanks hooked to the same filtration system in sections so when any of their tanks start looking questionable, I bypass purchasing. My local petco is more consistent with clean tanks so there must be a good manager over that area, but they don't seem to be able to get the oddball fish I look for. I have called both asking if they can order and petland is more apt to be able to get the fish so they must have different suppliers Or petco just doesn't want to mess with getting fish they normally don't stock.

When I order fish, they keep them in the bag for me to pick up same day which bypasses the lfs tank exposure and I have not lost any due to shipping stress.

I have also read that buying online, you are using the same suppliers as the lfs chains. You eliminate some of the shipping steps and most importantly, direct customers are sold the choice healthiest fish (a happy customer is a repeat customer) while they send their "seconds" to the chain stores.

18. OP
    OP
    Angels4

My other 8 fish shipped from Florida I am in NC and are all fine then I bought the two at petsmart and they died ..so I agree with ordering fish!

19. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

I think it depends on the store - I have had some really nice fish shipped to me that died relatively quickly, I have had many fish from stores that have died on me, my most recent being a blue male betta and a cellophane female betta both to organ failure, both from the same store (I have two others from that store, no name, but those two are doing much better). All I can say is, if you want your schooling fish to live happier/longer have them in a bigger school lol. I have had fish go through illnesses both roughly and die or survive it and keep kicking. Many of the ones I have had die on me have been from pet stores or big box stores, some of the ones I have had die on me have been shipped to me (including, bettas, tetras, endlers, and cories).
    It really depends on who is caring for them in-store, because while some may be ignorant to good care, those people often try to help as much as they can.

20. Whitewolf

Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

Meh its hit or miss just like with local mom and pop stores I never had as many diseases in my tanks as when i was buying from some dirty mom and pop store. Its all hit or miss it does not matter weather its a chain store or a private store

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice