Whats up with my wood?

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by eltoro, Apr 6, 2012.

1. eltoro

eltoroValued MemberMember

I bought two pieces of driftwood a while back, around 5 months or so. In the past month I have noticed that the bigger piece seems to be peeling for a lack of a better term. There are several clumps of shavings (again for a lack of a better term) of the wood on my substrate. Since I use sand it is quite noticeable, has anyone else have this happen to them and how can I prevent this?

2. iRun

iRunValued MemberMember

Is it possible that is a brown algae? Sometimes new-ish tanks get this brown, almost powdery looking algae.

3. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I think some types of wood are known to peel like that...Malaysian, maybe? I don't remember. Do you know what kind it is?

4. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Is it the bark coming off? Do you have a Pleco that is gnawing on the wood. Mine leaves slivers on the substrate.
    carol

5. OP
    OP
    eltoro

eltoroValued MemberMember

Yes I forgot to mention that it is Malaysian driftwood. I had plecos but the peeling starting before then.

6. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

I have Malaysian Driftwood, and pieces slough off all the time. In my 10 gallon, my Clown Pleco helps seed that long lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice